Price Quotes For Auto Starter?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to bad a price from Ford, but damn, places really like to rip people on the installation. My advise is, go to K-Mart and get a Bulldog Security remote starter for $50, the bi-pass for around $20, and do it yourself. I'd put it in for ya if you were closer. I usually charge $50 to instal just the starter then if it needs a bi-pass I tack on another $15. Takes about 2 hours when you've put a few in. You can get the wiring colors and locations from thier site. (bulldogsecurity.com) Makes installing it a hell of alot easier. $400 for instal just seems really out there to me for something that really isn't that bad to do if you have some time to do it. I'd be happy to give you a rundown if you'd like on the instal portion. Just shoot me an e-mail, and I'll see what I can do.;)

They are only $225 installed here by stereo stores....

Forget the dealer, Shop around..

Todd Z

While on the subject I ran across a Do It Yourself remote starter system by Bulldog. Anyone tried this or have it? Ratings etc...

Woppy, read my previous post.:D

I have installed many of the Bulldog Starters and have only had problems with one of them. It was a factory defect and the company sent me a new one within a week. (after sending the original unit back) If you are looking for just a "starter" without all the "frills", it's the coice for you.

Not to complicated to put in. When you first open the box and see all the wires, it gives you a "holly sh*t" moment. Go to thier site and get the wiring colors and you are on your way to getting the thing put in alot easier.

You will need to get a "security bi-pass" modual for it. Although, the last one I put in had one with it. Not to complicated either to install.

I have installed aprox. 50 oof the bulldogs and a few other brands. Bulldog is the easiest to do.;)

Stonemiser... Any recommendations on a specific Bulldog setup in terms of starter model #, bypass model #, etc?? I don't have a third key just yet, so a programmable bypass that doesn't require the extra key would be great. Also, what's your take on the wiring harness? Is it a must to make installation easier?

I've seen your other posts and you're obviously the expert. Any input would be really appreciated! Thanks!

Sorry Stonemiser for not seeing your post. I bet you I accidently saw bulldog on your post while glancing at the screen and it sparked that memory I had! haha.

what is the range for the bulldog starter? and does it have the ability to learn my stock remote lock/security funtion? Does it have a automatic shut off if you leave the car running and forget about it? And if i needed the srcurity bi-pass modual where could that be found.

Thanks! recently I have been going gun ho on my trac to get it to where i want it and this is on the list to do!

$400 for the installation is hideous!!!!!! I almost wanted to ask the guy if he felt like making any money cause he was never going to get me in the shop for that price.

Apparently they think most people buy into ridiculous prices here. I have run into bad shop prices with them before, but this one was absurd, so I had to post to see what others thought.

ANYWAYS: I want to use the factory starter to maintain the factory alarm and key less remote.

I have installed a Bulldog Starter on my 91 explorer that I sold. It was perfect. If I were to be installing that, I would for sure get some help from stonemiser.

Sorry guys, I was away from the computer for a few days and not keeping up with the posting on this. Hope you all are still monitoring and I'll answer a few of the questions here about the Bulldog starter.

First, Jeff, just go to K-Mart. I know they have them there and some Walmarts have them. I'm not sure of the model # of the starter itself. Doesn't really matter. There are only a few models. The cheapest (around $50) will only start the vehicle, to ones that can be programed to open the doors and such. Which do I recommend? I usually tell people to just go for the basic model if you already have the keyfob to open the doors and such, because it will require seperate switches to get it to work with the doors.

Second, as for the bi-pass, go to the local place that installs starters and get a "programable" bi-pass from them ($20-$30). It doesn't need the third key. It is able to be programed the same way a third key is from the ignition system in the truck. This way, you don't have the chance of the key vibrating out of the area it needs to be in to send the signal to turn off the security system.

Third, Bulldog makes what is called a "T-Harness". It can come in handy at times for some vehicles. The end with all the wires hooks to the wires into the remote starter. The other end is a block that bolts in between the ignition wiring and the main wireing harness. The wires from the steering column (ignition, accessory, etc) go down the column, to under the dash, then they join the main wiring harness at a connection box that has a bolt run though it. You can hook all the wires of the T-Harness and the starter at you kitchen table, then take it out to the vehicle and undo the box in the vehicle, then this T-Harness mounts in between the two halves. I ran into "room" problems in Cadallacs and a S-10 Blazer that I used the T-Harness in. (trying to get the dash panels back on) I haven't put one in my ST yet (I plan on it), so I don't know how much room is in there yet. (I plan on if I do this, I'll submit a project on it)

Forth, Woppy, the range is from 100 feet (standard) to 400 feet (upgrade models). What I've done is take a piece of wire (speaker) and attach it to the end of the standard antenna, run it up inside the door seal, up to the roof line. It does give it a longer range, especially on taller vehicles. That is about the only difference between the 100 and the 400 ft ones. The longer antenna on the 400ft one.

Fith, yes it has an automatic shut off.It can be set for 5, 10, 15 min run times. It is set at the factory for 15 min. It also has the abillity that if you pull into a Uni-Mart, Sheetz, 7-11, etc., you can push the "start" button on the starter fob, take your keys out of the ignition, lock the doors and the vehicle will remain running. If someone jumps into your "running" vehicle, it will shut off when they hit the brake pedal.

As I've said before. Shoot me an e-mail, and I'll answer any questions you have or if you want, I may be able to get you the bi-pass (programable) at my local shop and mail it to you. Just let me know. I'm happy to help and save you guys the "install" labor.;)

Thanks! With all that info and the what seems like constant snow and sub zero temps here, I'm sold!

I like the idea of the harness too since I can do most of the work inside. The Bulldog website seems to indicate that the FD-1 AND the FD-3 harness work for the Explorers... would the wiring for the ST ('04) be the same? And if so, does anyone know the difference between the two harnesses? I figured I'd ask here first, but if no one's sure, I'll give Bulldog a call and post the info.

Jeff, I would call Bulldog. I looked at the site and the difference between the two Harnesses is the connectors. One may work because they may have the same connector as the Explorer. The part that worries me is that they do list different colored wires for the 2003 Explorer and the 2003 Sport Trac. Would they change the location of the wires on the conection between the two vehicles? Maybe, but maybe not. The people at Bulldog would know though.;)

I see that Sam's Club has 2 different Bulldog Remote Vehicle Starter systems in their online auction. They have the Bulldog Deluxe 200 and Deluxe 200B. The Deluxe200B includes the Anti-Theft bipass, lock/unlock doors, and functionality to open trunk or sliding van doors and seems to be going for $45-$50. Check it out........If you are not a Sam's Member and would like to get one I can assist so let me know.

edit: Posted link for the Bulldog Deluxe 200B auction.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Just put a quick call into Bulldog... there's no T-harness for the Sport Trac. Looks like I'm putting this project on hold until it gets warmer. Thanks to everyone for the info!