Whistle while I drive.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKF

2008 Limited
Reaction score
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Not me, my truck when I hit about 65. A high pitched whistle sound. Someone told me my tires were rubbing but I didn’t think so. Wouldn’t they rub constantly and also at lower speeds if that were the case? Almost sounds to me like a windshield leak but there’s no evidence anywhere of a draft. I’m stumped. It’s really irritating too. Almost dental drill-like. Any guesses?
IMG_2706.jpeg
IMG_2708.jpeg

I know the driver and passenger front doors have a notorious spot for air leaks(up close to the curved corner towards the rear of the glass). Could try to recondition the weatherstripping(or buy new-if you can find it).
Might want to check the third brake light as well, since that seal is also known to fail. But I don’t think I’ve heard of that being the actual cause.

Does the sound go away with higher speed or just change pitch?

The first thing I would suspect is the groove/slot on the two roof racks. I'd cover those slot with painters tape temporarily and see if the noise goes away. We have a similar issue with our Mercedes roof rack and the cross bars we added that have an exposed "groove".

I know the driver and passenger front doors have a notorious spot for air leaks(up close to the curved corner towards the rear of the glass). Could try to recondition the weatherstripping(or buy new-if you can find it).
Might want to check the third brake light as well, since that seal is also known to fail. But I don’t think I’ve heard of that being the actual cause.

Does the sound go away with higher speed or just change pitch?
It goes away if I hit 70. That’s a good theory on the rubber in the door jambs. I just re-glued some on the driver side and got rid of a horrible air leak. It’s silent now - maybe if I redo the whole thing it’ll fix this whistle problem. Also, the third grade light is suspicious to me just because the gasket seal around it looks weak. The sound does sound more like it’s coming from the front though, right around the driver area somewhere.

The first thing I would suspect is the groove/slot on the two roof racks. I'd cover those slot with painters tape temporarily and see if the noise goes away. We have a similar issue with our Mercedes roof rack and the cross bars we added that have an exposed "groove".
I’ve never thought of those but it’s been fine almost 3 years until just recently and the roof rails have been there the whole time I have owned the truck.

Not me, my truck when I hit about 65. A high pitched whistle sound. Someone told me my tires were rubbing but I didn’t think so. Wouldn’t they rub constantly and also at lower speeds if that were the case? Almost sounds to me like a windshield leak but there’s no evidence anywhere of a draft. I’m stumped. It’s really irritating too. Almost dental drill-like. Any guesses?View attachment 5322View attachment 5323
Hi...I had a high pitched whistle a while back myself...it went on for a few days. I doubt you're problem is going to be the same but in my case...one of my back windows were not all the way up and you couldn't really tell be looking but when I got up to highway speed it would start 🤣 I checked the door and everything else I could and finally I found it it. As I rinsed it off one day I saw water go down the inside of the right rear window...I got in and took it up and that was exactly what was making mine whistle 😂😂😂...who knows you may get lucky and that could be your problem too...good luck...

Hi...I had a high pitched whistle a while back myself...it went on for a few days. I doubt you're problem is going to be the same but in my case...one of my back windows were not all the way up and you couldn't really tell be looking but when I got up to highway speed it would start 🤣 I checked the door and everything else I could and finally I found it it. As I rinsed it off one day I saw water go down the inside of the right rear window...I got in and took it up and that was exactly what was making mine whistle 😂😂😂...who knows you may get lucky and that could be your problem too...good luck...
I thought you were just happy and whistled while you drove! 😉

As mentioned above, painters tape (1") works wonders when trying to find where air disturbances are. Windshield gasket, then door gaps, windows, sunroof, luggage rack, etc. are all culprits. Start with the area that you think the noise is coming from.

First off - your truck is fire.🔥 Gorgeous 2008 Limited. I'm not usually a fan of the "metallic" type trims, b/c it's plastic, but it looks like the way Ford did this factory metallic trim (lower door side panels, door handles, front grill ) accent very well on your rig. Plus I'm digging the King Ranch side emblems and you found aftermarket wheels that were a great compliment completing the aesthetic. I must've been buried under a rock or in a cave and think i should've snagged another ST in the later generations, at least a preowned before production terminated... But like many diehards in this forum i thought the model would survive another decade.

But back to the point.... I own a 2002 very well maintained for it's age (22yo) with 235K. Prior to swapping out my entire Rear End 2yrs ago to enable installing Rear Disc Brakes for a long desired upgrade. i had this annoying intermittent squeak that i thought would drive me into insanity. Like 2 hampsters that only humped during longer rides solely for the purpose of torturng my ride solitude... Wouldn't do it much if at all at low speed - maybe if i hit a bump, but usually only highway driving speed 50+ or the like. I thought i had loose trim, step rails, or the like. I hunted and hunted the sound and thought it came mid or aft the cabin - but of course i could NEVER replicate it when it took it into a repair shop for brakes, tires, rear diff check, etc. It wasn't until the swapping out the Rear End/Brake upgrade my mechanic (an ASE certified mechanic/family friend/brother in Christ) said "your passenger side axle bearing is shot - I don't know how you've avoided it failing and locking up the wheel. The driver's is okay" - and that's what the root case of the squeak was. Replaced both axle bearings which completely eliminated that squeak. I told him to add extra, extra grease..... But again, after multiple service intervals where no one could ever detect my issue i was ecstatic to have a peaceful ride restored. I can ride and not listen to music or anything, but hearing a noise that shouldn't be there deafening.

I realize a "whistle" isn't the same as a squeak, and the 2nd/3Gen have significant build differences, but just in case.... maybe this could be similar??? If not, simply the encouragement to keep hunting until you find it. 👍 Riding in PEACE is essential.

Latest posts