prioritizing number of issues.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbie Oh

Reaction score
I'm currently having a number of leaks in my GEN1 v6 Sport Trac. I'm pusing 150,000 miles and am not sure which problem i should fix first (keep in mind all of the listed leaks are slow[class 1] leaks). The first issue I have is an oil leak somewhere above the drain pan, 2nd is a coolant leak to which I am unsure of where the leak is, 3rd being a fluid leak in the passenger side front axle boot, and finally a small exhaust leak right near the bracket in the middle of the truck ( I plan on upgrading my exhaust to a flowmaster 40 single in dual out in the future and will probably fix the leak when i do that) any advice on how i should prioritize getting these problems fixed?

~PFC Oz

Coolant is a pressurized system, I would take care of that one first, Then the exhaust with winter coming on, dont want to be stuck in traffic with fumes coming in. 3rd would be the axle boot.. Probably will just need to replace the halfshaft. Finally, the oil leak. It is last because it is easy to check and keep it filled while working on the rest.

my .02. Dave

Class 1 leak...were you in the military??

First is the coolant leak, then the axle leak followed up by the oil leak and last but not least is the exhaust leak.

The coolant leak has the potential to get bad really quick and cause major engine damage. Same with the axle boot leak but if the boot is torn open and you let it go you will need a new axle eventually. The oil and exhaust leak will more than likely be nothing more than nuisances until they are fixed

Coolant, exhaust if it is a good size leak, engine oil leak (or keep a GOOD eye on it and replace as needed), then the axle.

I say axle last as I assume you don;t have the money and or time to do it all at one time. And,,, for all practical purposes the axle is trashed already, so replacing it soon means nothing as it will cost the same no matter when you replace it (up to the point it literally breaks and could cause damage to something else). But i am guessing it is not even making noise as you are still leaking grease from the boot...

^^^^

Why do you say that the axle is trashed already?? A torn boot and a joint that still has grease in it is a far cry from being trashed.

I had a pinhole in my cv boot. That little hole leaks grease like a summamabish.

Caught it fast and Ford replaced the boot. Still going strong about 70K or 90K later.

l1tech

First, I will agree that the axle is not trashed for the simple fact that there is a hole in the boot.

That said, you know as well as I that the labor to replace the boot will be higher than the labor to replace the axle. Plus, the cost of the boot is OFTEN nearly half the cost of the entire replacement axle (in many cases). Further, many people will buy a split boot and once again, you and I both know they normally are crap and fail and then the customer is right where they were only worse as they MUST then pay more money to do the job right..

So, though the axle is not trashed, for all practical purposes it might as well be as it really does not matter.

I say this as, even if the axle NEVER goes bad, in the big picture it might as well get replaced as the cost difference is MAYBE $50.00. And in my opinion, I will GLADLY give 50 bucks to have a complete axle replacement instead of screwing with a boot replacement on an axle that MAY have damage to it due to leaking grease over time....

I do agree that in alot of cases the cost of the complete axle is cheaper overall but what I don't like is the poor quality of reman axles that the parts stores are selling.....there is a reason the parts store wants $50 and the dealer want's $250. With that said I will keep my factory axle anyday and replace just the boot. Realistically it only takes maybe another 10 minutes to replace the boot adn for the people who want to use split boots...well they deserve what they get

thanx everyone. so the consensus is fix the coolant leak first? and l1tech, yes, i still am in the military, United states Marine Corps.

PFC ARTY MECH,9/30/2010 20:02 MT

and l1tech, yes, i still am in the military, United states Marine Corps.

Nice...Was in the Army myself...even had a little fun back in 90-91 in a little thing called Desert Storm

Latest posts