Pro Comp Shocks - Do I really need them?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Duckworth

Reaction score
Hi all!

I was in a O'rielys Auto Parts last night and the guy working there told me that the Pro Comp ES3000 or ES9000 shocks would give me a rough ride since I was only 4x2 and did not have a 4 inch or higher lift.

He told me I need to get a "regular" shock.

What do yall say?

Ron

Ron, I just put ES3000's on this past Sunday and they did make a great difference. It is a truck so it will have a more rougher ride than a car. I also installed he EE Sway Bar and that REALLY made a big difference! But if i was you i would change out those shocks. Hope this helps. Later on, Riley:cool:

Ron, you need any good shock to replace the stock shocks. The Trac will never, ever, no matter what you do; ride like a luxary sedan. The two suspensions are very different from one another. The Trac has a light truck suspension geometry and springs. People here use the terms smooth, nicer, etc. which all mean different things to different people. What good shocks will do is provide proper dampening for the springs. They will almost eliminate all nose drop during braking. The Trac will not sway as much when you pass a semi at 80 mph. It is less affected by crosswind. You have much better control of the truck. You will feel bumps because the springs are stiff; no shock will cure that. What you won't feel is that same bump several times because the shocks will dampen the springs so they do not oscillate.

This is one item where you need to trust those who have gone before you. Hundreds here have become believers in regards to good shocks. There are many to choose from that are all good. We each have our own experience...me it's Rancho RSX. I don't believe that anyone here has spent the time and money to evaluate all the different choices. So pick one that you've read about here...you won't go wrong.

Can someone post again were they are getting the Pro Comps upgraded to 9000's for like a $120.00 or something like that. Obviously that is a great deal but I don't remeber all the details.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

The Pro Comps free upgrade is at:

www.4wheelonline.com, the exact url is: http://www.4wheelonline.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryId=329

Mine should be arriving any day now.

Ron

How do I get the upgrade to the 9000's? Is it automatic, I put the 3000's in my shopping cart but no mention of 9000's at that point. Also are the boots recommended, I don't 4 wheel drive or anything like that?

Not sure how the ES300 will run on a ST, but coming over from the wrangler side of the house I hated them. They say the wrangler just doesnt weigh enuff. Now the Ranco 9000 are a great shock and they are adjustable with just the turn of a knob.

Me,

I called the 800 and asked the same question. The rep told me they were shipping ES9000's out in all cases where the ES3000 were ordered. So, just buy the ES3000 and the ES9000's will be shipped.

I think the boots are just for looks and serve no other real purpose. The boots do cost extra though.

Ron

Me,

I called the 800 and asked the same question. The rep told me they were shipping ES9000's out in all cases where the ES3000 were ordered. So, just buy the ES3000 and the ES9000's will be shipped.

I think the boots are just for looks and serve no other real purpose. The boots do cost extra though.

Ron

No, you do not need Pro-Comp shocks. You do need to upgrade from OEM shocks though. Monroe, Rancho, Tokico & KYB all make good aftermarket shocks. Just do a littel research, and go with what you feel is right for you and your budget. Also, get either the Explorer Express anti-sway bar or the Roadmaster Active Suspension, or both like I have. :D

I'm not positive about the boots having no function. If that were the case, then what is the function of the boots that Ford put in the other areas of the front suspension? My guess is that the boots help prevent corrosion and also help keep the road grime from getting onto the rod which moves in and out of the shock body. The boot may in fact lengthen the life of the shock.

[Broken External Image]:

I tend to think that boots actually trap mud and dirt inside if you actually go off-road. Without them you can just hose the mud off.

Latest posts