Problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Track Bob

Reaction score
Developing a problem when i start my Sport Trac. It turns over fine, but as soon as i take my foot off the gas it dies. If I really rev the engine the problem seems to go away and she stays running after many tries. I don't think its bad gas. I only have 30,000 mi on her.

Also, question regarding the extended warranty. Mine recently expired and if I never used it. Does Ford have some kind of reimbursement since I never used it ?

Also, question regarding the extended warranty. Mine recently expired and if I never used it. Does Ford have some kind of reimbursement since I never used it ?

An extended warranty is one of the things where you buy it thinking you might need it, Ford sells it hoping you aren't.

Ford won this time. That is why they sell it. They sell it to make money. Much the same as your auto insurance company. Drive your vehicle for 10 years without a claim and they will send you another bill.

Developing a problem when i start my Sport Trac. It turns over fine, but as soon as i take my foot off the gas it dies. If I really rev the engine the problem seems to go away and she stays running after many tries. I don't think its bad gas. I only have 30,000 mi on her

First of all, it isn't mileage, it is age. A car that is 10 years old with 30,000 miles on it is not going to more reliable then a car 2 years old with 100,000 miles on it, though most people think so.

Is your check engine light on? Have you tried disconnecting then reconnecting the battery? Also, you could also clean your IAC valve. With thaat few of miles, it sounds like the engine was never used enough to keep itself clean.

What year is your Trac?

Tom

Tom -

It's a 2001. How do I clean the IAC valve ? Where is it located ? I'm not that schooled in car mechanics. Is it easy to do ?

I appreciate your help.

I believe there is a project on cleaning the IAC. Check the projects section. Mine had an intermittant rough idle and it turned out the butterfly valve in the throttle body was gummed up a bit. Very easy to clean and it purred like a kitten afterwards.

try unplugging the IAC motor and see what happens. If it stays running, clean it or replace it. Also check the TPS sensor as well....

Latest posts