Prothane Body Mounts

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew Lonker

Reaction score
I installed the prothane body mount kit a few months back and they clunk and rattle like crazy. I've had my ford dealer look over everything else that could cause this noise. They said everything looks fine and think its because of the polyurethane mounts. In the rain they hardly make any noise so my question is, does anyone know of a spray/grease/anything i can put on the mounts to give them a rain-like quietness. Ive tried silicone grease which didn't do much of anything and made sure the bolts were torqued to the correct specs but they still clunk and rattle.

I've heard issues regarding the Daystar kit's rear bushing not fitting properly, but not with the Prothane kit.

Eddie had his replaced recently with the Prothane 6116 and seemed ecstatic. I'm certain he'll be chiming in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have about 1 month on my prothanes. Nice and quiet.

Did your shop torque the to the proper specs"?

The bolts might be loose enough that the bushings are shrinking in the cold weather.

They might look tight but not.

You can spray any lube you want on them. Cant damage polyeurathane with oils.

Eddie, I did the job myself and did torque them to the proper specs (41 ft-lbs and 59 ft-lbs if i remember correctly) and checked them yesterday to make sure they hadn't come loose, which they hadn't. I don't really notice a difference in cold vs warm weather. Everyone who has the prothane kit seems to love them, which is why I went with prothane. Riding down the highway is much smoother but when I hit and bump or dip they clunk and rattle. This is only coming from the front 4 mounts if that helps. Any thoughts on what type of grease to use?

ES Prelube grease is designed specifically for poly. Thickest and stickiest lubricant I've ever used. Problem is applying it where needed without removal. Only long

lasting grease I can think of that can be applied easily is white Lithium spray. Without loosening, getting it where they contact the frame may be another matter. GL

yeah im not really trying to remove all the bolts again just to apply some grease but it may have to be done...this job just never ends

when I hit and bump or dip they clunk and rattle. This is only coming from the front 4 mounts if that helps.

Are you shure it is the mounts? Might be coincidental and something else. I have hit some real bad places in the road. Not any noise at all, from the new mounts.

Eddie may be on to something. Check around before dealing with the bushing bolts (that can't be fun).

I think lubricant can help with squeaks, but not with clunks. To me, a clunk is either a lot of movement or something heavy.

The dealer has told me multiple times that they couldn't find anything else wrong. I have looked at my upper control arms are the bushing that connect to the frame look like they have a lot of wear but the mechanic never said anything about it. I have replaced shocks, sway bar links, tie rods, and ball bearings within the past year and a half. To me, I really think it has something to do with the control arms just based on how loud it is but im hesitant that the ford mechanics wouldn't notice the control arm bushings over and over again..but then again they did try to replace my new shocks and plugs...

In the rain they hardly make any noise

Have you tried spraying a thin, rubber safe penetrant on bushings ONE at a time? Heck, even water in a spray bottle would stop the noise temporarily.

If you don't clean the metal of all rust and scale and Paint with proper paint and i torqued mine 20 Foot lbs tighter then spec. Yes it took me 8 hours to do But I am 3 months NOISE free and GREAT ride over stock !!

Todd Z

Todd (or others) did you have to supplement the Prothane kit with any other parts/washers/etc or was it just a case of properly installing what came in the box?

I know in another thread you mentioned using different washers, but can't remember if that was with the Prothane kit or another.

A few questions

#1 Do the seats all have to come out to change these?

#2 Where do you buy replacement bolts if they snap?

#3 Is this something a normal backyard garage guy can do?

Joseymack