puff of smoke on occasion when first starting engine.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never have any smoke from my 2002 ST and it has 150,00 miles with the v6 4.0
I did when I first got her and the former owner used synthetic oil and I switch to regular oil 5w40 and no longer have smoke
I would try changing to regular oil for one time and see if the smoke goes away
Synthetic oil is a great cleaner and really doesn’t do anything to help seals to stay soft
I know this for a fact, as I’m a retired/ disabled master tech of 40 plus years
Working on everything from fords to million dollar show cars and rebuilding and maintaining massive power plant motors for Large machinery. With synthetic oil it will find any and all leaks and hard seals and show the signs of old and warn seals
Just give it a try, it will not hurt your engine
The tails of ( you can never change from regular oil to synthetic or synthetic to regular oil are uneducated rumors )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carl . Wanted you to know Few days ago I drained the full synthetic oil and replaced it with 5w20 conventional and have not seen any smoke on start ups. My 4.6 engine calls for 5w20 . Changed the filter too. Every time I change that oil filter I think of their little saying "Ford has the better Idea " LOL Yeah right . Stay well brother.

Glade it helped. You can go with a little heavier oil. Just not to much, it will just had more drag on the crank, not big deal
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts