Putting oil in an oil filter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Mahen

Reaction score
I've been reading about oil changes on the site and someone said that it good to fill the new oil filter before you put it on. My question is: do you fill it from the 5 qts your going to put in the engine or do you put extra oil into the filter?

For some reason my 03 takes 5.5 qts every time i change the oil from bottles.... Maybe some is left in there...

But I always fill the oil filter when i can....

I get a little over 1/2 qt in the filter, Just go slow and take your time...

Just use 1 of the 5 qt bottles you would use normally and fill the filter wit it and then ad the rest to the motor....

And of course check the oil when your done..

Todd Z

Todd brings up a good point, always fill your crankcase to the proper level as indicated by the dipstick. Don't assume that 5 quarts is 5 quarts.

What?!? We can no longer be assured that five quarts(or pints or gallons) is five quarts(or pints or gallons)??

To what is the world coming??

To fill, or not to fill the filter, that is is a pretty common question. Seems that many do fill the new filter with oil before replaceing, however many with seeming authority on the matter say it really isn't necessary. All seem to agree it does no harm.

I found this quote from the website below:

You might pour some oil into the filter prior to installing it. This can reduce the amount of time your car takes to regain proper oil pressure. If your filter is mounted vertically, you may be able to fill it almost to the top. If it is at an angle, you may be able to get just a few tablespoons worth in, just to saturate the filter media. It's actually not necessary if the car has not been stored, there is enough oil left on the bearings to lubricate until pressure is built up; if you'll notice, no garages pre-fill the filter.

Either way, whether you fill or not, you need to check the level after the job is done, and the vehicle has ran, and then let to sit for several minutes. (I usually check mine at least 10 minutes after last shut-off, then again after the vehicle has sat overnight).

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I read that sometimes dipsticks are not accurate. That what you need to do is to drain the oil and remove the filter, let it all drain out until it stops dripping, and then put in the specified amount of oil to find the true "full" mark on the dipstick.

Latest posts