Question about Air Conditioning

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff C

Reaction score
So it was brought to my attention that the valve on the low pressure side of my a/c system had a small leak. I got what were supposed to be the correct replacement valves, but they were not. So of course, I had to order those and my a/c sat with no valve on it for a day. I already have the refrigerant, and I know I need to have a shop pull a vacuum before I pump that in, but I was told I may need to replace the receiver/dryer. Does anyone know for sure? It'd be nice not to spend the $50, but since it's been in the high 90s here lately, I've been wanting to use my a/c (I almost never do, but on the occasions that I want to, I'd like it to work). Anyways, thanks.

Officially, yes, it should be replaced. It has to do with the item retaining moisture and affecting the performace of the cooling capabilties.

However, once they get a vacuum on it let them hold it for thirty minutes or better. This should pull the moisture out of the system and into their filter a bit.

I would not replace it as long as you get a held vacuum.

If you are in a area with high relative humidity, that would be the best procedure.

It may be possible to remove the moisture by pumping it down, but you may need to "pump it" for 24 hours or so, and I don't think you will find a shop that is willing to leave it plugged in and unattended overnight.

Your A/C will probably operate more efficiently if you replace it.

Alright. Next question, the little clamp on the front tube coming off the dryer, how the $%&* do I get that off?

Also, thank you. My goal for the day is to get my a/c working again, so I guess I'm off to the store here in a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will see the tool in the A/C section of the auto parts store. It is usually blue and plastic I believe. Some stores will rent you the tool. You can also rent the vacuum pump yourself and pull your own vacuum. The pump is usually available at larger tool rental shops. Do you have any friends/neighbors/relatives that are familiar with A/C repair that can give you a hand in person or over the phone? You should have somebody that knows what their doing available for help.

Well I know what to do, I just don't know how to use that little plastic tool. I feel like I'm gonna break it. The shops around here want $60 just to pull a vacuum...f'n ridiculous.

There's a black sleve on top of the spring...does that need to come off?

Well, all it took was one call to Mr. Todd Zabia and I've already finished replacing it. Now I just need to find a shop that won't bend me over just to pull a vacuum.

BTW, you have to push in, twist, push the lines together, and push the part in further, then pull apart. No where on the packaging of the tools does it say that.

Anyways, thanks again, Todd Z.

Me, yup. Anyways, Express Oil pulled a vacum for $10, and I did the R-134 myself; it's nice to have cold air again.

Did the vacuum hold? Any signs of leaks? Did you check the temp at the center vent? Is it nice and cold? Did you replace any A/C oil? Just curious for when I have to deal with this myself someday.

I assume the vacuum held. No signs of leaks. I didn't check the temp, but it was cold enough I couldn't hold my hand there too long because it began to go numb. The refrigerant I got has the oil in it.

$30 for the r134 kit, nice one, has a gauge and what not. About $45 for the dryer (but I get a discount for working at Advance Auto Parts), $13 for the quick connect coupling tools (I could return them, but I figure I'll need them again at some point in the future) and $10 for the vacuum. Plus an hour of work, and a half hour of driving around.

Your welcome....

I knew I was good for something....

BY the way, when you called we where driving 60 foot long sheeting piles into the ground...:p

Todd Z