Question about OEM Tonneau Hard Cover lock cylinders

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan M 3

Reaction score
I know a lot of you have the OEM Hard Cover. Have any of you repalced the lock (two) cylinders on a Gen2 cover? I bought one used from a member here and am having one heck of a time finding the locks (part numbers). Also, can a set of them be bought to match your ignition key? Any feed back would be apprecaited!

I don't think the Gen2 Sport Trac OEM Tonneau cover key were the same as the ignition key. In fact I understood the locks were completely different???

LaRue, the Key Guiy would know if the lock cylinders could be changed to accept the ignition key?

The early Gen-1 covers did use the same key as the ignition, and that was just a matter of changing the pins in the lock cylinder...You could actually buy a kit from Ford that allowed you to change the locks to match your ignition key if you purchased your cover used, and the tonneau cover included a kit to change the locks to match the ignition key.

...Rich

I have a Gen 1 cover I bought used and was told by a local locksmith it would be $150 to replace both cylinders to match my key. They said it was because of the cylinder covers would be torn up when trying to re-key them that it was better to replace.

Thanks Joe, and LaRue. I have been trying frantically to get a part number, or cost, or even just to see if they can be keyed alike. I can't even find any info on "how" to repalce them. I seen some stuff on a Gen1 but not the Gen2 cover.

Hope to get some info soon! Love the cover!

Nik,

The locksmith lied to you. the Gen1 locks could easily be rekeyed by your dealer or a competent locksmith and it causes no damage to the lock cylinders.

What can be damaged is the plastic cable adapter that fits over the lock cylinder and activates the cables to release the latches. But with some carefull twisting and pulling with a set of channel lock pliers you can get the cable adapter off the bottom of the lock cylinders without damaging them.

...Rich

Latest posts