question about painting bumpers

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was thinking about painting the bumpers and all surrounding grey areas at the bottom of the sport trac to match the rest of the truck. Has anyone out there done it? What is a reasonable price for this project? I live in the Los Angles area if anyone knows a place nearby.

My front and back ones were painted while my ST was in for collision repairs after I was rear-ended. It cost me $251 from a Ford dealer collision center here in Kansas. They had a guy come down from DuPont to show them how to bake it, and what adhesion promotors and primers to use. I also have a lifetime warrenty on the paintjob in case it ever flakes. Keep in mind, it was just front and back, and they didn't charge me labor to remove or replace the back bumper. I only did the front and back because I later added ATS Designes running boards.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Did mine with body shop equipment... Got rid of the texture...

Places here quoted me 600-800 bucks...

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I heard if u painted the bumpers and the rockers that the paint would not stick... And I work at a ford dealership they told me I would have to get new ones..

Allen, They are like most body shops, Afraid of change..... It sticks if you do it right... you cant just prime and paint, you have to clean, prep, use special adhesion promoters, and then prime and paint...

Mine had been like this for 2 years now, with NY road salt, sand and winters....

Any one who says it cant be done is full of BS!

Todd Z

Did this last May... still looks great and have had no problems - I live in CT with the snow/sand/salt... still looks great!

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts