Question about removing a door panel

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Lavoie

Reaction score
Before I search through the projects I have a few questions.

History:

My wife has a 2001 Explorer Sport (Not a Sport Trac) - It's a 2 door SUV. Her drivers side door will no longer open - from what she describes, I think something is broken inside the door.

She called me a few minutes ago telling me that she had to crawl to the passenger side door to get out. She said the handle won't open the door from the inside or the outside either (opened the window and tried to open the door from the outside).

I haven't seen it yet but I plan on taking a look tonight after work.

Questions:

1. If the door in fact will not open at all, does anyone have any suggestions how to get it opened?

2. I will need to take the door panel off. Does anyone know if this model is the same as a Sport Trac and are there any instructions how to remove the door panel?

If the door won't open at all, what are my options on removing the panel.

Hope I'm not screwed here! :blink:

Basically the same as the Trac, just make sure to go UP not OUT when you get all the screw and push pins removed or you will break off the top locking tabs/arms...

Costiejoe,

I've never taken off a door panel before. Are there instructions as to how to do it? Where the screws are, steps involved?

make sure to go UP not OUT when you get all the screw and push pins removed or you will break off the top locking tabs/arms...

Sounds like great advise!

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
On my '02 ST there are 3 x 7/32 screws holding the door panel on and then there are several plastic lock pins on the sides only. Might want to take some care in pulling the plastic pins out because the doors are painted on the inside as well (don't want to scratch the paint).

Sounds like the pins/levers that connect the handles to the lock have become disconnected.

Hope this helps!

Sounds like the pins/levers that connect the handles to the lock have become disconnected.

From what my wife describes, I agree.

If this is in fact the case, is it pretty easy to figure out and reconnect?

Well, got the door panel off enough to slide my arm down in there and pull the bar to open the door! That was fun.

It looks like the door handle on the inside is getting jambed. When you try to open the door from the inside, the handle doesn't return the the original position - it kinda hangs out a little. Once you pull the bar inside the door, it works fine - once - then sticks again. All the parts are working and nothing is loose. I used WD40 on it but it didn't help.

At this time, I got it working enough for my wife to open it and not have to climb around.

Gonna take another look tonight to see what I can do.

Thanks for your advice.