Question about the Speedometer/Rpm/etc. gauge face for the Spt Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snooze

Reaction score
I am wondering what lights up the gauge faces in the dash, just behind the speedometer/Rpm/etc gauges? Are there basic white light bulbs that illuminate a green, semi transparent plastic or paper that we see when we turn our lights on at night? Or are they green LEDs emitted ontop of white, semi transparent material?

They are white lights shining through a green film.....

I have peeled the green film off and replaced the white lights with blue led's, looks sweet.

Awsome. Thankyou for the response :) How hard was it to get to the back of the panel? Any suggestions if I decide to do the same thing? (Blue is the best) :)

Check out this post...this is what everyone replied to me...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Replacing Dash Lights by Heather in N.Y., 6/9/2005 10:18 ET

Category - Lights

I was just wondering how hard/easy it is to replace the lights behind the speedometer and such and what other types of bulbs I can put in there (I want to put a different color in).

re: Replacing Dash Lights by Larry Phillips/NX-01,6/9/2005 10:53 ET

Putting colored bulbs in would be kind of hard, because the bulbs that are in there aren't green. They are white ones. The gauge faces have a green film on the back that you would have to scrape off. If you want to change them to blue, I would suggest a set of reverse glow indiglo faces like mine. They lay over the gauge faces, and are relatively easy to install if you're careful. The bulbs can be changed, but you have to remove the drivers side half of the dash, and remove the instrument cluster to get to the lights which are screwed into the back.

Here's my reverse glow gauges (mine have dancing flames too)

Message was edited by Larry Phillips/NX-01 on 6/9/2005 at 10:55 ET

re: Replacing Dash Lights by Big D,6/9/2005 10:54 ET

its not hard just time consuming, once you get behind the dash(removing bolts and screws galore) you can just get some 194 size leds off of ebay in almost any color. The trick though is you'll have to sand off the green film with about a 400-600 grit sandpaper (really easy, cant screw this up). then its just plug and play. If you like look at my library, i changed mine out to blue, the pictires are old and the rest are done now but been to lazy to put in new pics.

Dallas

I would have done what larry did but unfourtanetly i couldnt find those type in km/hr.

Message was edited by Big D on 6/9/2005 at 10:56 ET

SEE BIG D'S LIBRARY FOR PICS OF THE BLUE GAUGES :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Awsome. Great help. Im anxious to get started now. I like projects like this. I also cant wait to post pics of my truck. Its heavely modded waiting for a lift kit... a one of a kind lift kit :) When im done with that.. then ill bless you all with pics and explanations. hehe.

Latest posts