Question about Transmisson problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary L

Reaction score
Well for the past 4 days i have notice that my transmisson seems to taking a long time to change from Second , 3rd to 4th .And the engine sometime REV high then change ...does anyone know what the problem is . I had it flush 2 months ago and it was shifting smooth and now this.:unsure:

It could be the valve body solenoid. The gasket comes apart, and pieces of it clog up the valve body and the solenoid, and it won't shift. It's usually evident by rough shifting between 2nd & 3rd gear. Just had mine done last month. $952! If you're having problems between 3rd & 4th, maybe THAT valve body is bad also. Best to have it checked out quick, as a tranny rebuild is like $3200!

$3200 for a tranny rebuild, ouch. Seems you could buy a new one for not much more then that.

You can buy one rebuilt for alot less, but you need to know how to install it...... that's the route I will go when mine craps out.

Go to www.powerdemon.com/Ford_Transmissions/5R55E.html for a listing of heavy duty and extreme duty remanufactured 5R55E transmissions that come with a heavy duty Max Converter and a Hayden 1405 Cooler with 2 yr, 50,000 mile or 3 yr, 75,000 mile warranties. They are built for heavy duty towing, desert racing, etc., with all non stock heavy duty parts.

Heavy duty runs $2265.00 with $500.00 core charge and shipping runs around $200.00. Extreme duty runs $2640.00. Of course you have to send them your vehicle and PCM info beforehand.

The site is an interesting read for anyone who does serious trailer towing or just wants a good, long lasting, no-worry tranny for their ST. They also sell a heavy duty torque converter with a GOOD lock-up clutch which has furnace brazed fins as a replacement for the weak point torque converter in the 5R55E trans. According to Ford Master techs I know, the converter clutch is usually the first thing to go which then takes out the transmission.

Gary:D

A tranny flush does not open the transmission at all. The fluid is changed throught the cooling lines at the radiator, so there would be no wrong gaskets installed. I suspect that they may have installed the wrong transmission fluid that was not fully Mercon=V compatible.

...Rich