question after efan install

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron N

Reaction score
Looking for some input here, after installing the efan,should I worry about enough air flow for the transmission cooler. I am thinking of installing a temp gauge to see if it is needed. If the fan kicks in later as the engine warms up, do you think a small fan should be installed on the transmission secondary cooler. Just a thought crossing a mile in my mind.lol _Ron:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the e fans draw more CFM than the stock fan.

IF the e fans shroud covers the whole rad it is installed correctly.

AND YES I feel since the E fan runs a lot less and is not constantly moving air in slow traffic or idling, drive through ECT, a small fan on the tranny cooler is a MUST!

Todd Z

Thanks, Todd. I got to wondering about that after the weather started warming up. I may by a temp gauge and do a check w/ and w/o the fan running to see as well. I will keep you posted. Also I am thinking of replacing the thermostat w/ a lower temp and letting the fan control the temp to 90 or 91 degrees. Thanks again._Ron

Ron I would not go much lower on the T-stat, the computer wants the engine at 190 or so so it can properly mix the air and fuel.... you may throw that out of wack...

And you mean the fan controller at 190-191 or 90-91 ???

Thanks

I installed my fan with the box that I bought from Todd plus I have the gauge and I have not seen a difference in the tranny temperture. My tranny runs normally around 150-180 plus degrees, keeping in mind I have the bigger tranny pan.

Jose

Jose if thats the case then the internal radiator cooler is doing its job, which is a good thing !!!!

Todd Z

Jose I have the stock pan w/o the efan and thats about the temps that im seeing on my trans. Granted I havent driven it in weather that was over 75 or 80 since I put the gauge in. Dont you guys think that a larger cooler would benefit more than a bigger pan? obviously both would be optimal.

Ian,

I exchanged my tranny pan because of the main reason of temperture, overheating, I will say replace ther tranny pan, it will keep the tranny cool and will benefit from having not to worry about repairs and or replacing the tranny.

My opinion only.

jose

I had a '88 T-Bird that had a 5.0L(302 cu inch for us old guys :lol: ) warmed over motor. It had the 4speed AOD,with a B&M shift kit. I put a 16 pass trans cooler on it. The trans was still tight at 100k when I sold it. I ran it as hard as some of the mustangs with the AOD around here, that were failing. Never failed me. Made me a believer in larger coolers...

Last edited by a moderator: