Question for 2005 ST owners.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn stonbraker 2

Reaction score
To go off the last thread, my wife has a 2005 Mountaineer with the 4.0 in it. When the tranny shifts gears it actually sounds like a manual transmition shift. It doesn't sound like it's slipping, it actually sounds like you took your foot off the gas, pushed a clutch in, and put it into the next gear. Not a long pause and it's not harsh. It's actually smooth, but for the loss of power during shifting. You can't tell by looking at the RPMs either. They just go down when it's in the next gear. I was wondering if the trannys on the 2005's did this. Let me know. Thanks.;)

hopefully some one answers you faster than me!!! haha...sorry man i cant help with this one..a little out of my league...but good luck

TimR, as far as I know and think it would be. The engine config is alittle different than mine but I can't imagine they would put a different tranny in it.

Mike, I don't think it's an actual problem, I was just wondering if any '05 owners trannys shifted like that. It's just new to me and like I said, it doesn't shift like a usual automatic.

My moms 2004 explorer does that...and her 2003 did that also.. I think its the way the explorers are geared and such, made for comfort-no heavy/harsh shifting. Also the explorers pull lower rpms at given speeds-my moms explorer is slightly under 2000rpms at 65, while my trac is at 2000 at about 55mph...

Hope this helps

Andy

All my families Hyundai's do this also... I think they drop the engine rpm, unlock the converter, Shift, then power back up to save the tranny life....

It sucks when you got that baby floored and hit your face on the steering wheel when it nose dives before it shifts...hahahah

Todd Z

Todd, nice to hear from you tonight!! Was wondering when I'd see you post something. That is exactly what it sounds to be doing and I don't think it's a bad idea if it saves tranny life but like you said, when you get on it, you better be ready for the shift!!

Andy, I never really noticed the RPM's in the Mountaineer. I'll have to keep an eye on that the next time we go to Pittsburgh. They must think that we ST owners aren't looking for comfort.;)

This odd shifting is due to the throttle by wire (TBW). There is no throttle cable on that vehicle. The computer backs the throttle off just before the trasmission shifts to help extend the life of the clutch discs and to have nice smooth shifting.

My 05 Mustang GT has TBW but it is a 5sp stick. I have some major issues with TBW, not from a safety aspect, but a performance one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate all this computerized drive by wire...I dont trust it..give me the mechanical stuff..It dont take a scientist to fix it..:D

My wife and I are leasing a 2004 Mountaineer and have had several harsh shifting and power loss during shifting problems. Whenever we take it in to the dealer for warranty work, it seems better for a few days or weeks, then starts to act up again. They have replaced the pressure control solenoid and "reprogrammed" the tranny (sounds goofy to me, but I guess there may be some firmware there) each at least once.

It's an ongoing annoyance but not too bad. Since it is a lease and we only have it for about 1 more year, and a long paper trail of this issue I am not too concerned with it.

TJR