Question for current 2007 & newer Adrenalin owners, please

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les C

Reaction score
I was interesting in knowing what you think a brand new 2010 Adrenalin V8 All Wheel Drive, w/pwr moonroof & a dealer add on dual headrest DVD entertainment system that lists for $43,890 can be bought for straight up, no trade, cash? either out the door or plus tags, title & taxes

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine was $43600 sticker, had everything you're looking at 'cept the moonroof, but I have navigation. Out the door, mine was $36,500 with x-plan and good incentives at that time(end of Oct). Check the incentives in your zip, I think they have mostly gone away. Tags, title and taxes will depend on where you are, and aren't really comparable.

And based on the fact that the Adrenalin is no longer available, the dealer may demand top dollar.

Their internet pricing is $38,395 w/the $3,500 mfg. rebate...my uncle retired from Ford, so I might qualify for the x-plan pricing.

Canada.. I paid $36k taxes in for everything you have but the head rest dvd units.. full nav, every option plus they threw in side window visors, additional bed liner, and the molded bug deflector for the front. 2010 Adren.. had 76 kilometers on it when I took er home. Squeeze em a bit more, you'd be surprised how much "mark up" there actually is still.

There is very very little markup in todays Ford products. Yes, a loaded Adrenalin has the largest markup of any Sport Trac.

You're looking at about $3000-$3500 on a $43,XXX Adrenalin.

Yes, the dealer may have hold back or stair step profit but you will never know how much. Usually the only people that know are the sales managers and the general manager. Whatever the amount, it won't be a deal changer.

Time is your best friend. The longer something has been on the lot, the lower the amount of traffic it has had and the more floor plan interest the dealership pays to have it there. Aged inventory are little gems for the consumer.

Don't be fooled by people that say there is a lot of margin. There is not. Almost everyone qoutes you their accuisition price. This is the price after rebates and before tax and it's not accurate. Your rebates are taxed. Rebate has nothing to do with dealership profit.

Think about it. The market is way to competitive for that. The internet has basically destroyed the chance of any large gross sale for a customer who does their homework.

IMHO, there is no such thing as a "brand new 2010" anymore. The 2011 model year vehicles are out already. Any left-over 2010s should be drastically reduced to well below sticker at this point.

You should be able to get x-plan pricing without an x-plan pin. Heck, you should be able to get better than x-plan.

I suspect the stealer would be glad to get 38-ish for the ST, and you probably can even get them lower than that...

Start with the x-plan price and go from there. I'd offer 3k less than x-plan, and have financing already in hand from at least a couple of sources, and start the negotiations there. Figure out which works better for you: outside financing + applicable Ford rebates; or Ford financing sans rebates; etc.

TJR

With rebates you can probably get 3k under xplan but I promise you won't see any dealer give you a $3000 loss on that vehicle. They do get an X-plan commission from Ford. It's usually about $1,100. It's their only profit on a X-plan deal. So I'd say, if the dealership doesn't believe in making money and just wants to clear the inventory out...you may be able to get the vehicle for $500 under X-plan less rebates.

Asking $3000 below X-plan without rebates is completely unrealistic. It will never happen. The dealer would make more money bringing the truck to auction or packing it into a dealer swap deal. Would you sell something for $3,000 less than your cost? No. Be realistic.

New is new. No matter what year it is. It goes by title date. It has regional incentives to compensate for it's age, demand on vehicle, dealer inventory and a host of other reasons.

Psycareyo,

Would I sell something below my cost? Sure. If I had to. Businesses do that all the time. It's called "cutting your loss".

Yes, by definition, if the vehicle hasn't left the lot and hasn't been registered, then it is new. However, by circumstance, the thing is getting "old in the tooth". If there were 2011 STs (there won't be) then the 2010s still on the lot would be competing in price and inventory with the used 2010s. True, the unsold 2010s would still be new, technically, but there comes a point in time where the dealers pretty much start giving them away. We've all seen it happen.

Which takes me to my point: "Giving them away." I don't believe for a second that x-plan price is "at or near" cost. That's why I said I would start my negotiations several K below x-plan. I'm not expecting the dealer to lose money. But at some point they do have to "cut their losses" (or at the very least cut their profit to almost nothing), right?

You say the x-plan commission is the only profit a Ford dealer gets on a vehicle sold under x-plan. Again, I don't believe that given my experience. If that were true, explain how I have purchased 2 new Fords at x-plan price WITHOUT an x-plan pin???? I've done it. I've seen the x-plan price. I've actually gotten below that price...twice. Are you saying in both cases the dealer made no money, or lost money?

My '07 Focus was purchased at $75 below x-plan, sans the pin. And I took rebates to boot (on top of the below x-plan price).

For me, x-plan price is the highest I will pay, and that's without a pin. Haven't had a Ford dealer yet turn down my offers using that negotiation tactic. I've pretty much told them if they can beat the x-plan price, I will walk out wiith the car that day.

Oh, and I haven't purchased any dealer upgrades, etc.

I think there is some profit there even at, or below x-plan. The question is, how much?

TJR

did you finance them through the dealer?

You'll probably say you didn't finance through a dealer and you had no trade. Am I right?

I think there is some profit there even at, or below x-plan. The question is, how much?

Ya know...the only person that can really answer that would be the dealer principal. The only time I can think that this situation would exist would be in a stair step bonus franchise like Kia. We have never sold a car at a loss but we have sold a vehicle at 0 front end gross because it meant $3,000 to the dealership in stair step profit.

That system didn't exist when our dealership sold Lincoln Mercury. I know Ford that that system on select models only. Not their entire fleet.

Psycareo,

In both cases where I paid at or less than x-plan I *did not* finance through Ford Credit (would never finance through a "dealer") and did NOT have a trade.

So, in both cases, the dealer (or Ford) wasn't getting any additional monies from me for my financing or on the resell of a trade-in.

One of those deals I had nothing to trade. The other, I was surrendering a leased vehicle that I owed nothing to surrender (was a month away from term and in great condition, below mileage).

TJR

I'll have no trade, it will be a cash sale...

thanks for all the replies thus far...

in the meantime, I have found 2 more locally, 1 w/same equip. minus the dealer added on dual DVD [so $1,995 less] & the other I haven't seen it's sticker

still doing my homework, have an '01 [mine, 142k miles, bought new in Sept. '01] & '05 [son's, 175k miles, bought used in July '06 w/50k miles for exactly 1/2 original sticker out the door...tags, title & taxes!]

the only reason I'm interested @ this point, they are Adrenalins & it's the last year!