question for R1ch999999

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Rice

Reaction score
Saw you lived in the Nashua area. I am probably moving up to southern New Hampshire area at years end or early next year. Anything special I need to do to the Trac for those New England winters? I was wondering if you made any mods because of the New England climate.

Jim R

Jim,

I know you asked for R1CH, but given that I have lived in the northeast my whole life I can tell you one thing you might want to consider for your '02, if you have the same battery replace it before the move with one that is rated for extreme cold.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
TJR,

Thanks for the advice, I just got a new battery last year. I am due for a flush and coolant change but I think I will put it off until just before I go. One more question, Someone suggested I get the body undercoated because of the salt used on the roads during the winter. Do I need to get this done on the Trac?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim, I lived in upstate NY for much of my life. Undercoating was considered a scam by most up there and we lived in the salt/rust belt.

I wouldn't waste my money given that your ST is already 6 years old. Undercoating metal that is already exposed to the elements, salt or not, for that long seems like a waste of money.

Give you ST a good waxing in the fall, and wash it whenever you can in the winter (which may not be that often).

TJR

being from canada the weather you guys get at times makes me laugh... hahahaha.... see thats me laughing..... its called winter... not the apocolypse...

make sure you give your truck a good wax, possibly get a block heater installed, maybe get some heated seats.... thats about it... and make sure you have at least some good all season tires on.... I recommend BFG all terrain KO's

Given that I grew up in Northern NY near the Canadian border NH is a temperate climate to me. The only thing I do is put studded snow tires on and sand bags in the bed, but that's because I have a 2WD and I drive to upstate NY and NH a lot. Well, that and 2WD sucks on icey hills, the rest of the time it's fine.

I park in my garage so I don't have to worry if it's cold or snowing out. If I were to park outside I might consider an engine block heater, but that's a big might. Also a lot of people that park outside get those windshield covers that keep the ice and snow off. It saves time in the morning. If you find that you're driving long distances and can't keep warm, something I've never had a problem with, you can get a cover for your grill to let the radiator stay warmer.

You really don't need to do anything different unless you're moving to northern Canada or Alaska IMO.

I live in Massachusetts. My winter preparation is to get out my ice scraper.

I doubt it'll be as bad as you've maybe been hearing. Good luck with the move!