Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Swiatek

Reaction score
hello to all I just had a question I have a 05 Trac 2wd 54K miles with the goodyear wranglers 255/70/16 on it and I cant stand the noise anymore from the cupped tires its a shame because they only have 25000 on them(Dealer installed them new when I got the truck) and still look new. (except for the inside edges) I have looked through the website and seen that people have put stiffer shocks and tires other than goodyear and it helped with the cupping, my question is does this really help? I am out of my warranty now and this is the only issue I have with the truck,ive had it aligned 4 different times in the last year and its always with in factory specs. I am about to buy different tires and dont want to spend a fortune im just gonna get a decent set of uniroyals probably 235/70/16 because they fit in my budget right now and are onsale. Any help you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

raserx08, first things first. change out your shocks. Oem shocks really suck. You can search for shock suggestions, depending on your budget. Whatever you get will be better than oem.

Better shocks will definitly help with the tire wear. Also will help the ride and control. The factory wrangler rt/s tires are a cheap tire and dont wear well on our trucks. Do not down size your tire size. Stay with the 255/70-16. If it came with that size it is geared for 255.

Last edited by a moderator:
oops I am staying with the same size I didnt notice I typed 235 but I am staying with the 255. I definitley want to change the shocks I have noticed the ride is a little too soft for me. Ill check around the forum and see what might work best. I appreciate the help and quick replies, thanks again.

Go with the monroe reflex shocks. For the price they seem to dampen the suspension ocilation on our tracs the best. I have the rancho rsx. Same shock same manfactor. The reflex is cheaper $$ wise.

The '02 Ranger I used to have came with Wrangler RT/S's and they were worn out in 20,000 miles.

Know that I'm anal about tire pressure, rotation, and alignment. They were nice and evenly worn, just evenly bald.

You don't have to spend a lot of money, I've had good luck with generic Wild Country tires on several vehicles.

I just read this and went and looked at my tires. Just bought my '04 last month. Dealer (stealer) put 225/70/16 on it. No wonder it hits hard on the sharp bumps. :wacko: Guess these will need to be upgraded soon. What kind of price have you guys seen for the 255/70/16?

Rick, I would go back to the dealer and make them correct the tires, at their cost. They should have known better..