Questions About Fuel Filter Replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
OK, I attempted to replace my fuel filter this weekend using the project from this site, but it was written for a '01-'02 ST, and my '04 ST has a different fuel filter with a different inlet connector, and no return line. How is the inlet connector removed? It looks like some kind of plastic clip that can be pried up with a small flat screwdriver, but I didn't want to attempt it and break the connector.

Helpful suggestions welcome!:)

I did the filter on my 04. Removes the same way; have to use the tool that clips around the metal line and slides into the connector. 04 does not have the clips shown in the project and as you stated, only two lines, not three.

John,

I've got almost 40,000 miles on my '04 ST. That's and the fact that I'm getting ready to retire from the Navy and move from VA to IL, pulling my travel trailer is why I'm changing the fuel filter.

Tom,

I'll try to post some pictures later after I get home.

I have an 05 changed mine a couple of weeks ago, change the same way as 01/02 just 2 connectors instead of 3, use the same tool. It is a royal pain in the butt took me about 35 min. and a facefull of gas, it does not come off easy. check your owners manual for the correct fuse for the fuel pump you want to relieve the pressure. it is not the same fuse number as the 01-02. good luck

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

Thanks for the picture, Todd. That's exactly what mine looks like. Do I use the tool for both the metal and plastic ends?

I found the correct fuse in the owner's manual. I just had a hard time getting the tool to work. I'll try again later. When I pulled the fuse and turned the engine over to bleed the pressure, of course the Check Engine light came on. How many start cycles does it take for the fault code to clear?