questions for the computer gurus...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan betts

Reaction score
i just bought a laptop for school today. i got the acer extensa 5420. my questions are... what is a good anti virus program to run and how do i make a back up disc??? thanks in advance!

AVG is good and free. Check with your school; here we get free antivirus software (mcaffee, norton, one of those) and you're required to have some kind of antivirus software before we can connect to the school's network.

Check with AVG though, it's free and does a fine job.

I second Jeff C. Thats what i use. I dont do alot of downloading but the commuter guy who set up my computer turned me on to it and damn if it doesn't work!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am with Jeff.

FREE is good.. for Free AVG is about the best there is.

also Check with School or where every you work (for others) Most System Adminitrators will give users AV because they know you will use your home computer for work..

and Corp. Editions of Norton dont have alot of extra stuff taking up resources.

Make sure, if you have Trial AV on your system, Un-install it.. it will mess up the newer one.

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using the Corp version of Symantec Endpoint and love it.

Leaves a really small footprint and uses very little system memory.

AVG is a suitable Free option also.

Cheers

Whit

Zone Alarm is a good free firewall. Easier to configure than the vista one and blocks in and out traffic at your own settings.

I had McAfee and got rid of it. More on that later. I "acquired" a Norton disc with a 100 year subscription. I like the Norton better than the McAfee so far.

My subscription for McAfee ran out which is why I got the Norton. I tried uninstalling the McAfee and got rid of all the components except for the Security Center. The Security Center installs itself in your registry making it difficult to remove. I am not comfortable removing it myself so I will give it to a friend who works on computers. I don't think it is right that a company like McAfee does this to people. I am no computer "guru" by any means and don't think it is right to make a program difficult to remove if an average person no longer wants the program or service.

AVG---------------- anti virus

Zone Alarm--------firewall

Adaware-----------spyware remover

all free and i have never had a problem

with them

thanks for the responses. i will definetly check these programs out tonight when i get home.

does anyone know how to go about making a back-up disk??

XP- go to Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Back Up Your Data

Vista- go to Control Panel > Back Up and Restore Center

When you get to those points, follow the directions for what you want to do, I haven't created a disc to back up to, so I can't help you past that

If you really want to back up your data then get an external drive. Everyone should have one. Here's a 120GB one for $77. They make larger ones if needed.

One of the best security measures for XP is to run as a limited user, not as administrator. The problem is some programs break when you run in a limited account.

I used AVG until i found out that my ISP provided a FREE anti virus/spam/spyware and firewall by F-Secure. Your ISP may do the same. May I ask who you go through? Also, I did not care for Zonealarm. It seemed buggy and hogs resources. Good luck!

Nick, maybe you got a bad download or install of ZA. Been using every version on W/98 and XP for years. No upsets with it at all..