Quick question...2000 Explorer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
After a weekend of driving 1200 miles to get Theresa's car back home after a break down, I have a question.

We stopped by the local Ford dealer. They have a 2000 Explorer XLT 4x4 in excellent condition. I can buy it for $3 grand. It has two trouble codes.

P0171 Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1

P0174 Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2

Are we looking at the intake manifold gasket being bad? Not a big deal, I can replace it myself, I am just wanting to know.

The tranny slips a little, I am trying to figure out if I can make out on this deal or not.

Tom

Kelly Blue Book gives $8470 Suggested Retail for a 2000 Explorer. I just let it pick all the standard options, and a 4.0L. Not sure about the the trouble codes, but intake gasket sounds logical. Even if you have to put a tranny in it, which you may do yourself (?), given your obvious mechanical ability, it looks like a good deal to me. JMHO. Good luck. :)

Either a cracked intake or bad gasket.... no biggie either way.

The tranny would worry me a little but If you have a place that can do a good rebuild, I think you can come out a head......

I always use www.nada.com because the banks here IN NY use that for value and not KBB..

Todd Z

Todd,

I am not worried about the engine. The tranny is my concern. I have an appointment with one shop tomorrow. We will see what they say. The shop is a patient of my sister. Actually, his whole family is her patients. She is a dental hygienist and they have been her patients for 4 years and the dentist she works for has known them for many, many years.

Once I get one quote, there are two more I plan to check, just to be on the safe side.

Frankly, I was looking for a small car with a 5 speed to drive to and from work since Theresa's car took a dump on us over the weekend. I had to drive 50 miles west of St. Louis, MO to bring it back home. Needless to say I was not happy. So I figured that if I can find a small cheap car for a few months to see what happens with work (thanks dubya for your involvement in Iraq and not on the defense contracts) to see if the next contract gets released. A small cheap car would have been the way to go. It wasn't the gas mileage, but it was the price to buy.

We stumbled across this one and honestly, for the price, it is hard to turn down. 136,000 miles, 4x4, 4.0L SOHC engine, Power seat, Auto headlights, electrochromic mirror, rear heat/AC, etc. No moonroof, but oh well. It is very clean too.

I will keep everyone updated.

Tom

Sounds like a good deal. Before I got the Trac, I owned a 2000 Explorer. Absolutely the best vehicle I've ever driven. I never had a bit of trouble with it from Day 1. Sometimes, I sure wish I had it back!

Todd,

I am not worried about the engine. The tranny is my concern. I

Yes I know, Thats what I said......

Todd Z

Latest posts