Quick Repainting Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Hey everyone... I spent today repairing the very little body damage I had to my ST, a couple chips here and there,and thats about it... But what I wanted to know was... Since I basically just doing certain panels over again.... what exactly needs to be done?

I sanded all around the body repairs, etc... but other than that, I have yet to do any prep to the remainder of the panel (Which is my passenger right panel on the side of the box) and the tailgate (covered over the ford logo).

Do I just give it a good sand, and go at it with the base coat?

Do I give it a good sand (not thru the paint entirely) and blast with a primer, then base, then clear?

Thanks everone.

Ideally, you'd feather sand the area so that there is no ridge. Prep the rest of the panel by lightly sanding to give the surface enough tooth for the paint to take...basically knock the gloss off. The prime, paint, and clear. You do that whole panels at a time. Like you'd repaint an entire fender, or door, or whatever, You work the paint edge to a panel gap. This way, if there is a difference in paint color from what you're spraying down to the surrounding panels, it'll be less noticable.