R-tech Y-pipe vs. removing pre-cats

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Yee

Reaction score
I'm thinking of purchasing the Random Technology Y-pipe for my trac, but I was also considering taking it to the shop and having the precats removed and to just put pipes in place of them.

Anyone try this on their trac? would it be just as beneficial as getting the actual y-pipe? I am asking cause for me to get the precats taken out is only going to cost me 80 dollars vs the 400 for the y-pipe.

Umm, if your shop will do that, they're violating a federal law, I think. Wouldn't bother me, so I'd say do it.

My shop will, I'm from Canada and we don't have as many emissions restrictions as our southern neighbors. :D

I'll be leaving the main cat in tho..

It's the same thing really, although with labor cost the Random Tech pipe might end up being cheaper since it's a bolt-in.

oh btw... will this have any effect with the computer? no sensors or anything like that on the pre-cats?

The ST has 4 (FOUR) cats... 2 pre cats, one in each side of the y pipe and 2 after the y pipe comes together.....

Removing the pre cats should not effect any thing, and should not turn on a CEL... But i had my x-cal before the y-pipe install....

Having the shop do it will almost be the same thing except the slight loss of flow due to the joints, I don't think it will matter.

I went for the Y-pipe because if i ever need emissions or have to but it back I don't have to cut and hack the pipe a second time..

Todd Z

Looking under my trac and comparing it to others.. i noticed that most other tracs come with 2 main cats after the y-pipe.

My trac only has 1 cat and a resonator way at the back above the rear axle, but that was removed when i installed my gibson catback.

And I only see 2 precats... is this due to the US emissions regulations vs Canadian?

Adam, Yes, I that is more then likely US regulations...

I noticed a big difference in sound, performance and my MPG went up a little...

I did notice a slight drop in bottom end torque, But i think that was a "feeling" and not real world...

Todd Z