Race Advise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Svatos

Reaction score
I am starting to build a 2007 4X4 Sport Trac to Off-Road Race in........

Any suggestions/comments/warnings?

What is going to fail? What is weak?

Thanks in advance,

Shrekrcr

I would be willing the bet the IRS is ging to be a problem. CJ joints are not known for thier strength. Lifting the '07 is not going to be cheap.

I wish you luck and hope you kick @$$!!!

Tom

Odd choice to race in. The Ranger has so many more aftermarket parts available over any year Sport Trac. Plus it is much lighter and cheaper to build up. And, most race offroad in a 4x2.

Contact Perry's Fab and Fiber. They've turned a few stockers into capable off-roaders.

[Broken External Image]:

The Explorer above is actually a first generation. However, with enough money, they'll do SAS solids on the front and back. Of course, if you want to make your life much easier, but still race a Trac, get an 01-05 so they have a *little* more to work with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ford Desert Racing races an ST...do a Google on it, or I know the internal Ford contact here who all he does is Ford truck dessert races, if you have any specific questions. What a dream job, eh? :cool:

The 2007 Sport Trac is what Ford wants us to race............thats why not a ranger.

We race an 2004/05 F-150 now............if we can "control" the travel, the halfshafts have been very reliable............

IRS on the Trac looks pretty beefy, but who knows until we subject it to some King coilovers, and bypass shocks..........

We have also raced a Explorer for Ford before...........The old body style.........it was a very capable vehicle, and we won at least two championships in it............

Keep the ideas coming...........Thanks!

Put some pics on here when you get the suspension done. I want to see an '07 ST with an off road look. How much rear wheel travel can you get with the shafts going through the frame?

R, do you have a link? I Googled it and could find nothing about Ford Desert Racing with a Sport Trac.

We are not sure if the shafts going thru the frame are going to be an issue........

We thought it was, but after looking at it, the frame is narrow in the rear, and the hole is right next to the CV...........so it may not be an issue due to wheel travel rules in the class.

There has been no official Press Release as of yet.........

You can go to www.daveturner.com and see our own little blurb on it......

We have the truck in our hot little hands............now our biggest concern is how we are going to get 35's on it........

We just got back from a race in our F-150...........6th place.......boo hoo

Shrek

Shrek,

Are you going to be able to run the V8? It looked to me that class 7100 is limited to the V6. What mods are you planning aside from the standard strip it down, rollcage, and shocks?

No, the 4.0L V6............yup, the class is limited to V6's and 4.3 displacement.

Strip everything, rollcage, 3" King coilovers and 3" King Bypass shocks at every wheel, might ditch the 4X4 (jury is still out), King Bump Stops on every wheel, Lowarance GPS, Digital Intercom, PRP seats, Goodyear 35" MT/R's, Considering some cool ideas for the rear end.................but that is "classified".........;)

Shrek

What's the projected date to have it out of the shop and running? Probably some '07 owners and curious gen1 owners who'd like to see what can be done with the rear suspension. Will need pix! :cool:

There is no projected date, at this time.

I would expect it to not be racing anytime before 2007.

There is going to be alot of publicity on this truck, so we are going to take our time, and make her nice and pretty..............and fast............

I will post some pictures as soon as some progress is made..........

Shrek

These guys have a late-model Ranger suspension that's pretty wild. I don't know what, if anything, is different on an '07 Trac. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
JohnnyO,

The 2007 Trac shares nothing with the Ranger. (other then the 4.0L SOHC engine) It offers a 4 wheel indipendant suspension and an ugly crome grill.

Tom

Okay, thanks. Dixon Bros has Ranger and F-150 suspensions, I didn't know if one or the other might work. Being so new, shreckrcr here might be on his own with an '07. No dealers here have an '07 Trac for me to check out afaik.

Latest posts