radio trim problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Harris

Reaction score
hey guys,

i attempted to paint by radio trim(bezel) of my 01 ST.

i painted it black, and as it was drying, the paint began to clod together and almost crystalize, this paint was made fror plastics and it was about 50 or 60 degrees...i probably should have waited until it was warmer but oh well..

i can probably spend a good few hours sanding it down and painting in more weather appropriate conditions, or i could drop 150$ on a new one from ford.

Any suggestions or links to sites that have sellers or companies selling these radio trims for a cheaper price would be helpful.

-no luck on ebay

thanks

Only lightly sand it, and try a Lighter thinner coat...

Sounds like too much paint was used...

Also those plastic paints stink, you could have used an adhesion promoter and then a regular paint..

Todd Z

Chris this happened to me Sunday night!!!!!!! I believe it is a chemical reaction of some kind. I did it in a climate controlled garage and the same effect happened. I had to sand it down with a lower grit and then I smoothed it out again with a 1000 grit. I then took the adhesion promoter I had left over from my cladding paint job and used that followed by 7 coats of my regular paint. The outcome is just fine with me. I have an area near the 4x4 nob and the rear window knob that I wish I could have sanded better but they are mistakes only visible to me because I look at them with such a judging eye. Good Luck! Post some pics! I will do the same tommorrow when there is light out to get a shot.

that looks very nice..after the paint started to crack and freeze im not sure ill be able to make mine even look decent. What paint did you use?