radio wiring question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan Lipinski

Reaction score
Hi i just got done installing a pioneer avh p2300dvd radio in my st along with a 10 inch sub and amp.

im having a problem with the battery dieing, the amp is shutting off properly and the remote wire has no current when the radio is off. the one thing that concerned me is the harness adapter i got has a ground wire for the radio but the pioneer radio came with a ground wire ready to go straight to the frame, so i put it there and taped the ground on the harness.

could this cause the battery problem.

No reason multiple grounds should cause a drain problem.

Did you use a the stock wiring harness mated to a aftermarket harness at the radio and just match up all the colors based on the instructions?

yea that's what i did, there was like 2 i didn't use cause i don't have a back up camera, the amp is shutting off properly, so im not sure what i should do.

Sounds like a fun time is about to be had hunting down the parasitic draw.. It could be as simple as having hooked up the new harness wrong. But you have some work ahead of you.

well i have it pretty narrowed down to the radio and amp because this wasn't a problem before the install, there is one wire i wasn't sure about on the adapter harness, it said it was illumination ground or something like that but it didn't have a corresponding wire so i just figured it wasn't going to be used, could this be a problem.

primary wires

12+ constant - keeps clock and presets (very small draw)

12+ switched - ignition on turns radio on

Ground

(Red, Yellow, Black - From memory but I'm pretty sure thats right..)

speaker wires, 4 speakers x2 = 8 wires if I remember correctly they are all on their own harness

Try just running with those connected and disconnecting everything else including the remote wire.

That should give you basic functionality and if you still have an issue with drain much fewer options to troubleshoot.

I'd recommend placing the ground wire out of the radio directly to the frame. The ground wire out of the radio is probably a little thicker than the ground in the factory harness. Better safe than sorry.

well i went out this morning and the truck started fine, i think it is just time to replace the battery, i guess i could have drained the battery by having all the doors open while i did the sound install.

and probably the fact i tried to test the sound system without the car on.

i only drive like 2miles to get to school so the battery probably wasn't charged fully.