Ranger FX4 shifter in a Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Kolb

Reaction score
So has anyone swapped the chrome shifter from a Ranger fx4 into their trac yet? I was thinking about doing that but I'm curious how it will interfere with the center console.

That's from a Lev II - pro'ly too long, plus it's just a stick. The shifter has internal mechanics/electronics.

How about converting the ST to completely manual 4WD shifting? All the safety interlocks would have to be disconnected and the other, favorable things like dash light and ECU retained. Would this be too much effort to get away from the too often failing and expensive module and motor?

The shifter doesn't have any internal mechanics or electronics, it's just a piece of metal.

-edit-

I should have said, this is a 2wd, I just want to swap the manual tranny shifter for the chrome one from the fx4.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the transmission is the same as yours, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I don't know how much cosmetic work it would take to make it pretty, though. Seeings how the Sport Trac and the Ranger share virtually the same interior, you might even be able to retrofit in the Ranger console. If you make it work, post pics!