RANGER to retire?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Ford could make a Ranger that got 30 mpg then it would sell but Caymens right. I just got rid of a 97 Expedition (with the smaller V8) that got the same mpg as my Trac that got the same mpg as my Ranger (Mazda B3000). People want a small vehicle with good mpg not crappy mpg like we get on our Tracs. I know it's possible. The RAV4 we bought gets 21-28 mpg and has 270 hp. Why can't a small truck get those numbers? They weigh even less.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had Rangers and the Trac mostly because they fit in my garage (an F150 won't) and a lot of the places where I go to do work are on narrow streets and driveways and a smaller rig is easier to get around in. Most of the streets here were built when a Model A was the car of choice.

You do not see a diesel Ranger in the U.S. because of the EPA, not (mostly) because of Ford.

'74-'76 Datsun pickups had a small 4-cylinder and 4-speed transmission. I remember getting 2nd gear scratches all the time, and sometimes a 3rd gear scratch. They were durable and got 25+ MPG. Too bad they all rusted away...

You do not see a diesel Ranger in the U.S. because of the EPA, not (mostly) because of Ford.

People have a hard time grasping that concept.

They also forget that companies like VW can bring them here because of special rules that allow VW to do that.

Tom

I sold my 01 Ranger SC & bought a V8 ST Lim.. I really liked the size of the Ranger, but the 3.0 drivetrain sucked. I wanted a small V-8 for occassional towing 3500-4000 lbs or so, (which would kill my Ranger), so the ST was it. Now I find the ST bed is higher than I'd like, but the V8 and towing is perfect. So is the comfort level. I also find that I really don't want to "dirty" the bed (with TC), cause the ST looks so good...

If Ford had a V8 Ranger, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.