Rattle coming from Rear Passenger seat area

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave S

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum as I just got a new 2005 ST. Great site with lots of helpful information.

My ST has leather seats and we get an intermitent rattle coming from what sounds like behind the rear passenger seat. We checked the jack and all of that is tight. It sounds like a plastic on plastic sound or a loose piece of metal vibrating. The only time you hear it is when the vehichle is in motion going over rough roads. (Which in MN is most of the time - LOL) My son, who sits back there from time to time claims it sounds like it is coming from the pillar area to the right - just above the head. (Where the seat belt tensioner is) I pulled the plastic panel piece off but did not see anything loose.

I've checked just about everything and cannot find the source of this sound. It is very annoying.

Has anyone else encountered this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same rattle when my rear window is in the vent position, I think it is the rear window, it won't do it when the window is up.

tracnyak

Thanks for the reply. My windows are always up when the rattle starts. I tried dropping the back window and then back up thinking it might be the window as well to no resolve.

my 05 same thing but it is not unbearable. however i would still like to remove it if anyone figures it out. i assumed it was the jack.

This might be a far guess but check the rear seat mounts where the seat mounts to the floor. My 03 had a terrible rattle coming from that area and they replaced the mounts. Have someoe sit on the seat while their driving or help pinpoint the noise in the rear.

Dave, Tracnblack here.Welcome to the site. I am a Quality/Squeak and Rattle Tech

with G.M. here in Tennessee. Try this. Have an adult (or your son, if he might be old

enough to do this) ride in the back seat and have them push firmly on the different

panels, trim etc... as you drive over the road conditions that you are describing

when this happens. Also, push firmly on the rear doors keeping safety in mind

(seatbelt on) to see if it is a door adjustment issue. I have a 2005 Black XLT

Premium with leather also, and I had the left rear door rattle in the same conditions

you described. Mine was the Body Mount Striker set too far outboard, not letting

the door close fully and tightly against the Body Mount Seal, causing a rumble-

rattle type noise. 5-minute adjustment in my driveway settled the issue.

Let us know if this helps!

Welcome Dave,

My 01 had the exact same thing, was starting to really drive me nuts. I know this should have nothing to do with it but I lubed my squeaky tailgate latch and hinge and I haven't heard the cabin noise again. Go figure.

Tim

Just an FYI, I had a horrible rattle/squeak from the right rear side of the passenger compartment. Sounded like the RR passenger door trim but daughter said it was coming from higher up around the window frame. It sounded like the door was going to come off sometimes. Tried adjusting the door jamb without success. Finally sprayed some silicon to the rubber molding around the door frame (top area) and the problem went away.

My noise was exactly the same as Teasip's, only mine was the left rear door, (top area). Like his, silicon stopped the noise.

Welcome to the site..I had a rattle of sorts, in the back seat area on my '04. Found it was the right rear shoulder harness. Depends on how it was left after being used. The buckle was scraping and banging against the interior.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll give some of those a try and if I find it - will certainly report it.

This is a great forum and everyone is very helpful.

I wish all forums were this good. :)

One thing I experienced was a speaking noise coming from the rear seat area. Though it was the jack compartment area, so put some peel and stick weather stripping around the opening to make the lid close tighter. It turned out to be the passenger side step mounts squeaking at the point they attached to the body. Upon removal no more squeak. I know that is not a rattle but it drove me crazy.

I had a rattle coming from right rear of my Trac. It turned out to be body mount bolt (and the surrounding area. The steel surrounding the bolt had torn away and the bolt (along with the steel material with the threads) was rattling around. This was a TSB and it took 3 attempts to fix (over a 12-month span). The dealer and Ford took 3 months to acknowledge there was even a problem. The body needed to be removed from the frame to repair.

It is fixed now.

You might also want to check to see if the jack assembly has come loose.

Nope - the jack is tight.

This thing comes and goes. I also get a snapping sound from my drivers seat when in motion and my seat moves even the slightest bit. If I adjust the seat a little one way or another it goes away for a while and then comes back. I tried the silicone spray others suggested on the seat back hinges but it is still there.

All in all I like the truck - but the rattle/snapping/squeeking issues are annoying. The dealer hates to deal with them and usually just states that they heard no sounds when I pick it up. I guess I'll have to find them myself. If not - I guess the radio will be up louder - lol.

My 2002 Toyota tundra had terrible rattle problems as well in the front dash. The dash had to be removed twice and put back together under warranty. It finally came back again and I decided to get rid of the truck.

I hope the ST doesn't give me the same grief.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll keep trying until I find the little buggers. :D

David Sass,

I can't remember who it was, but someone on here said they found a loose rivit behind one of their rear door panels that was making a (rattling?) noise.

Fred

My '03 Adrenaline had a rattle behind the rear seat. I thought it was the jack, but found it was the bungee cords I had stored in the plastic tray on the back of the access panel. Wrapped them in a rag and the rattle is gone!

Dave - the next time the dealer says that they cannot hear or reproduce a noise, have the technician and or service manager test drive with you in the car. I did this and their hearing improved immensely. It doesn't necessarily mean that they can fix the problem, but at the least it will be acknowledged and documented.

Latest posts