rattle driving me nuts

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance Cann

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know how to remove and take apart a rear headrest???

There is a piece of plastic or something broke off inside one of mine and it rattles around in there when I hit a bump and it is VERY annoying. I tried to pull the headrest out of the seat but it doesn't seem to want to pull all the way out. But how do I get inside it once I do get it out?

You have to push the material around the posts down and their is a clip int here to unlock them.....

I have never done it, but I hear it is a real pain..

Todd Z

I have a 03 ST and i can remove my head rest all the way off. I know the annoying noise that you are talking about. I take mine out when i don't have a passenger. Pull harder maybe and make sure you have the button pushed all the way in. I have thought about dry lubing it but just have not done it yet.

REAR headrests require rolling the fabric up to the grommet guides on top. (Gen 1)

Two clips on each headrest slide right off. Tack upholstery on each seat base and u r done.

Headrests can easily be replaced and removed after. The best part, no more rattle.

Last edited by a moderator: