Re cap on Tranny problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary L

Reaction score
Seems lately everytime i come here, i read something about a tranny problem...

Anyhow if anyone recall my thread before Xmas that i was having problem when shifting to 2&3. Well i took the truck in yesterday and they said my valve body need to be replace and it will cost $1195.95 .But the service guy told me that being as it is intermitten i should keep on driving it, and if it gets worse then bring it in. But for now it doesnt seems major wright now . I'm wondering if i should take is advice

I would do a service on the tranny, drop pan, change filter, change with ford fluid, add additive and do the EPC adjustment....

Or get a computer flasher and have the tranny pressures cranked up..

Over time the flair will destroy the transmission....

Todd Z

I replied to your other post as well, I had the same problem on my '01. I had to drive it untill the problem got worse. Throttle body and a new 3rd gear was what it took to fix mine.

My truck and transmission are running great. Now are ya happy? Just had tranny flushed at 36K at a Valvoline place, limited diff clutch pack replaced under warranty at 35,920 miles [only warranty work needed]. Have an 04 2x4 bought feb, 2004.

Star36, a flasher is an electronic device that you plug into the OBDII port; it reprograms the computer in your vehicle. The ones referred to here [Xcal2] save the factory program in the flasher then loads a new program into the CPU. You can read more about them on various posts.

Star, was it just a flush or was the filter changed also??? There is a differance.....

The flasher is a computer programmer that adjusts the way the truck runs. It is expensive, but can drastically improve performance or mpg, tranny shifting ans such....

That is the x-cal that we are always talking about...

Todd Z

Well i told them to do a tranny Flush and they charge me 139.00 and i belive they sais they change the filter when they do the flush:unsure:

Star check you receipt, They might not have...

Todd Z

The EPC is what maintains the fluid pressure in your tranny, By making it higher you can eliminate slipping and flaring, The only issue is finding a shop willing to do it....

I know a dealer will not do it....

Check the projects section IT will explain it..

Todd Z