Re-keying used tonnaeu cover

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Crockett

Reaction score
I took someone's advice and looked on ebay for a better deal on an OEM tonnaeu cover. I found one for about $600 and it looks to be a pretty good deal. However, the sponsor claims that any potential buyer will need to get the lock(s) cores rekeyed to match their ignition keys. He also claims this is a simple process for any locksmith or Ford dealership to complete. I was just wondering if anyone has had this done to their cover and if it was, in-fact, a painless process. The cover looks like it is in really good shape to be years old and beats paying $1100 for a brand new one. Any feedback will be welcomed.

DD

I took my tonneau cover to a locksmith and had him recore the locks. It maybe easier to have the locksmith make a key for them. I don't think it'll take as long.

A locksmith should be able to re-key them to match your ignition key, I had a similar issue with a different car when the trunk lock went bad. I bought a new one from the dealer and had a locksmith rekey to the ignition key... That was a few years ago, and iirc the price was around $40 or something like that...

I had to have a new cylinder and have it keyed to my ignition....cost me $72.00 with the lock smith

I had to replace one of the locks on my cover. I keyed it in my living room in thirty minutes (while watching TV). This was with a new lock that comes with all the "tumblers" needed to configure to any key. I can copy and send the instructions, but you will need more tumblers (unless you get lucky and can just rearrange the ones in your current locks) and the round stainless cover (unless you can remove it intact). I doubt Ford will sell only a tumbler set, but a locksmith may. A new lock is about $80.00.

I had a locksmith rekey a door lock 10 years or so ago. If I recall correctly, it was about $25.00; might be $40.00 now. You might get a deal on two.

My tonnaeu cover was made my A.R.E. - I didn't have a key for it so I called the local dealer, the key code was on the bottom of the cover, I gave the number to the rep, and for $10.68 I got 2 keys mailed to me. I got them in 2 days.

I guess this only helps if your cover is a A.R.E.

Ron