re: Soft brake pedal after new Calipers,Rotors,Pads

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Gerner 2

Reaction score
Bleed all four again. Right rear, then left rear, then right front, then left front.

Did you replace the copper washers, on the new calipers brake lines ?

Also the truck should be running to keep the ABS active..... helps get the air out...

UNLESS you damaged the master cylinder by pushing it all the way to the floor past the normal travel during the bleeding.... That can damage the seals..

Todd Z

I did replace the copper washers for the calipers. If I damaged the seals on the master cylinder, wouldn't they be leaking fluid. When we bled the brakes we did front to back, would that have been the problem I see that fast eddie says to to back to front?

Thanks for all the help guys.:wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like you still have air in there..... As for the master, no it will not leak fluid if the internal seals on the piston are bad, it will just bypass the fluid... Some leak if the other gaskets go bad, but then it leaks all over the brake booster...

BUT if you went Front to back and DID not get the air from the rear, I bet you have air in their still...

Re bleed the whole system

Todd Z

Possible that the cups in the master cylinder went past normal travel. If so they will get scratched from dirty wall in the master cylinder barell. Or from the wrong way you bled them first time. You sucked the air from the new rear calipers into the ABS system. If so you will have to get some one that has the tool to pulse The ABS unit so the bleeding will properly bleed.

edit; What I have always done when replacing a caliper or wheel cylinder. I leave the cap off the master cylinder. I open or remove the bleeder or bleeders. Until I see fluid run out. Then I do the proper bleeding rotation.

Last edited by a moderator: