Ready for an Exhaust Upgrade

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Lavoie

Reaction score
Time is getting closer to upgrade my exhaust system. I have an 07 V8 and I'm looking for a dual cat back system. I don't want excessive noise - only when I punch it. All other times, I like it reasonably quiet. I know there are different levels of noise so I should be okay.

The local Midas dealers have Flowmaster. I had a Dodge Dakota V8 several years ago that I did the same thing - but - it was WAY TOO LOUD! (Not done at Midas) Also, I believe they used the wrong size pipes - seemed to lose HP - never had it tested but it seemed worse after the change over.

I know I won't get a huge boost in HP, but I certainly don't want to make it worse. Just looking for the sound (while punching it) and i love the look of the dual pipes coming down at angles right behind the wheels.

Assuming I go to Midas, what should I ask and what prices should I expect.

Anyone have advice and pictures.

You can leave the stock pipes because they are 2.5 inch already....

There is muffler and a resonator under there...

Just have them cut in a muffler and keep the resinator...

If it is too quiet then remove the resinator...

Just a thought..

Todd Z

i have a magnaflow single cat-back on my 07 V-8. it sounds great at wot and is not that bad in the cabin. my concern was the interior noise and with this exhaust it is ok inside and sounds great outside.

I have a Gibson cat-back. As far as I know the V8 uses the same system and it is the only kit exhaust available for the '07-'08. It sounds good outside the truck, too loud inside the truck.

The Gibson is different for the V6 and V8, and Magnaflow also makes a catback for the V8.

I have heard a few people talking about removing the resonator. How do you do that? what is the purpose of the resonator and what does it look like?

The resonator quiets the exhaust down so it's not too loud, and it is the large coffee can looking thing between the muffler and the tail pipe.

You can get a muffler shop to cut it out and weld in a piece of pipe in its place.

Isn't the stock system stainless steel? Don't most local shops use aluminized steel? I see so many newer trucks with aftermarket dual exhaust and they are rusted. Some, older ones falling apart. :unsure: IMHO, I wouldn't change it out until the factory one goes bad. It's my daily driver and I don't paricularly care for the extra noise, save it for my Mustang. Just my $.02

Hey Jimmy here are PICs of what I did to my exhaust system installing Magnaflow Muffler's and a ROUSH Mustang exhaust tip...

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts