REAR AXLE SERCICE

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vik singh

Reaction score
2001 i was servicing the rear axle an i was going through the owners mannule for fluid specs....Theres two differnt types of fluids that ford used in this year..its saya veichles equipped with traction lock do not requires servicing and the ones the taht are conventional do.

how would i know if i have traction lock or conventional? is traction lock; traction contol they r talking about? or is limited slip? because i don't have traction contorl...

i have about 120,000 mile (200,000km) and i think i should service it now..someone help..

thanks

Personally, I service the rear end every 30,000 miles, or so. Two easy ways t check if you have a traction lock (limited slip) is to look at the door jam tag. It will say something like Axle then give you a code. Another is to look at the tags on the differential.

It will tell you what fluid to use and another tag will tell you the rear end gear ratio.

For example,

3L73 is a 3.73 LS

3.73 is a regular differential

4L10 is a 4.10 LS

4.10 is a regular differential

If look at the tag on the door, it will give you a two digit code.

Do a search for those codes.

Tom

Traction lock is limited slip...I just changed my rear diff. and front fluid at 99k...helps alot with shifting! I recommend it!

Andy

Tom, I dont know, but after i changed it, id idnt hear any noises in the rear end during shifts..so it did something,but im not sure what

Andy

I ran into some confusion recently (there is an old thread) because my manual listed two different weights of rear axle lube on two different pages, no mention of Traction-Lock except about using the additive. I ended up putting Mobil 1 75w-90 in the front diff and 75w-140 in the rear.