Rear Axle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike S 2

Reaction score
I looked under my truck today and saw a tube hanging from under it. It came from the left side of my rear axle. It has a small hole on the end of it, and i just shoved it up under my spare tire. What is this tube, and is it needed? Can I just cut it off at the axle? Comments suggestions needed thanks.

I think that might be your axle vent. It should plug into the axle. It will prevent water and dirt from getting in, so I would suggest you hook it back up.

Well the one end is still connected securly to my axle, the other end is just freely hanging off my truck so I tucked it under my spare tire.

Sounds like the vent line. I would find somewhere to zip-tie it up out of the way as high as you can get it. It lets the axle breathe and keeps the water out. If you do a lot of off roading or live in an area the floods a lot, I suggest putting the end of it up as high as you can get it to keep the water out...

The second pic shows where the running end should be:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the '03 4x4 with rear limited slip and saw the '07 didn't have the LS option, got the v8 4x4 '07, I guess you could make the argument that the rear indepent susp provides more wheel travel than the axle'd version, whatta you guys think?

...and saw the '07 didn't have the LS option, got the v8 4x4 '07, I guess you could make the argument that the rear indepent susp provides more wheel travel than the axle'd version, whatta you guys think?

The LSD interferes with the Explorers traction control system. That is why there is no LSD option.

Tom

Latest posts