Rear brake check

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Hinebaugh

Reaction score
Anybody had to check/replace the rear pads on their ST? Easy as the front to replace? I've developed a terrible squeal from the back when braking, goes away when firm on brake. How about the emergency brake drum? Is it easy to get into?

The rear pads on your 04 are just as easy to do as the fronts. even slightly easier...

The parking brake shoes should last you the life of the truck as long as you never drove with it on, or let it ride on it...

The parking drums are a bit of a pain to change...

The rear rotor houses the parking brake drum, it is all 1 piece..

Todd Z

Thanks for the reply. I'm one of the few people I know that actually use their parking brake regularly, wasn't sure if this would contribute to accelerated wear. I just had my truck inspected 2 months ago at the dealer. I would have thought they would have been all over the pads needing to be changed if they were almost down far enough for squealers to hit. But they probably didn't look at the emergency brake shoes since they are concealed. So is the rotor/drum removal similar to removing a drum on a drum brake car?

Easier, It will slide right off like a front rotor on a 4x4 Hat rotor style like the fronts..

After you re install the rotors, OR install new rotors, you can adjust the parking brake shoes just like the rear drums your used to...

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts