Rear Diff fluid change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michal H

Reaction score
So I am planning on changing the tranny fluid, front transfer case fluid, and the rear diff fluid.

Is there a project on the rear diff fluid change?

And on a curious note, what does a dealer normally charge for all 3 changes?

2004 XLT 4wd

I just had the tranny flushed on my wife's car at the Ford dealer, about $160. The sign in the service dept showed $94 for a diff lube change but I know the Valvoline Quicky Lube is about half that much and charges about the same as the dealer for a tranny flush.

The rear diff you can do yourself, I have seen Lube Locker gaskets recommended here before. The only way to do the front diff is with the suction machine that the Quicky Lubes have. There is not enough room between the crossmember and diff to get the cover off. My .02, since the Quicky Lube charges $48 (used to be $39) it wasn't worth the bother to do it myself even on the rear (on my old trucks). Gen 2 Tracs have a drain plug on the rear diff. :grin:

The transfer case is pretty easy to do yourself if you buy a suction gun to fill it with. I did a Member Project on it.

Latest posts