Rear Diff Fluid

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Dryer

Reaction score
I changed my diff fluid and tried to get a gasket, but apparently there isn't one. So I RTVed it. It's still leaking, not bad but still a leak, whats the story?

There is no gasket for the Sport trac... You need to ask for the Mustang 8.8 rear gasket to get one..

Ford uses the Grey silicone, and if it is leaking, you did not Wait for the silicone to cure, or did not apply it correctly..

Todd Z

if your good with RTV then it is supposed to be RTV.... if not you can get a gasket and put a coat of silicone on it and install it...

Also be sure you not leaking from the pinion seal.... You could also have a bent cover where the bolts are.....

Todd Z

Go to a Part store and pick up some "Rightstuff" silicone...it is more of a rubber based silicone that is some bada$$ $hit!!! I have built many engines with it and never had a leak!! There is no wait time either...

my chrome diff cover comes with a gasket ($25).

I can get just the gasket but shipping would get it close to $15 unless you ordered with other stuff.

Wayne, does that cover replace the existing cover, or simply go over the stock cover? Is it stainless or chromed?

Jeff, That is a complete replacement chromed steel cover...

Todd Z

When you RTV a diff. cover you must have everthing nice and clean. You must put the RTV around the inside of the bolt holes. Also a little RTV on each bolt wont hurt. I suggest useing loctite ultra blue part #58775 I have never had a problem withit good luck. Bill

they make BLACK rtv that will stick in oily places.. that is the only stuff i use.. it will definately work.. make sure you get around the bolt holes good...

troy