rear diff. leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith L 2

Reaction score
We just made a 4 hour trip to the beach pulling our pop up and when we got there I found out that the rear diff. has been leaking. It seems to be leaking from the front seal. It has been slinging around underneath. I noticed that it looks like it had been leaking for a little while and all of a sudden it got worse. I had been using an extra long hitch which made the truck squat more than normal which may have made problem worse. Do you think I would be ok to just buy fluid and fill it up until I get home and then get the seal replaced? And how do yuo know if the truck has the "Trac-lock" rear end? Thanks !!!

You could pull the plug to check if it is still full. To know what fluid to use, check the tag on the differential. If it calls for 80W90 you have an open diff. If it calls for 75W140 fluid, then you have the LSD.

Tom

Had the same problem (minus the trailering) ... took it to the dealer and they removed and completely cleaned the cover, replaced the gaket & refilled with fluid ... covered under warranty ! Oh, mine does not have an L.S.D.