Rear diff maintenance. Need part nos.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
I want to change out my 4.10LS rear diff fluid and replace the cover with a Trickflow one. Can somebody please verify part# TFS8510500 for it? I'm also interested in the pre-sealed gasket that was mentioned around here previously but I cannot find the thread (I believe Dingo and ToddZ uses it). Otherwise, will any RTV work fine? Finally, if I decide to use aftermarket fluid, do I still need to add friction modifier?

Thanks!

i have the trickflow girdle, search, cayman has a project on the install, i used a gasket with coppercoat, no leaks in 5 yrs.

No friction mod needed if you use RP or redline.

The cover comes with a paper gasket but get the Lube locker gasket.... that you can simply use rtv coating, but the lube locker is better....

RTV the bolt threads !!!!

AND a nice trick is to Teflon tape the girdle bolts and place a 1/2 drain plug washer UNDER the jam nuts, it will NEVER leak !!!

Use the friction modifier NO mater what, Ford fluid or not !!!!

The cover is for any NON IRS 8.8 ford rear end...

if you look at the bolts you will see the brass ( does not react like copper with aluminum) 1/2 inch drain plug gaskets under them and the Teflon tape on the fill plug and drain..

ALSO DO NOT FILL the diff through the covers fill hole.... IT IS NOT the same height as the OEM fill hole ... IT is lower and cause you to run the fluid at a lower level !!

Todd Z

TFS-8510500 Differential Cover, Aluminum, Natural, Trick Flow, Bearing Cap Support, Ford, 8.8 in., Each

LL-F880 is the LUBE locker gasket

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
True,

As long as they are a girdle most of them are 100% the same structurally ....

Todd Z

The mac will serve you well for sure, but there is a differance, some feel a substancial differance.

The trickflow holds 1/2 pint more fluid, the finned design for heat dissapation allows the diff to run 15 Degs cooler (so they advertize).

$149.00 at summit racing, very high quality item.

IMO, for our tracs. I think the Mac is good. It does the main thing, supporting the bearing caps. I have seen the Mac. It is very sturdy.

$149 @ summit is a good price. When I had the stang the price was $170 to $190. Depended on where you bought it. Im not so sold on their temp claim. The fins arent like the ones on the pml trans pan. The air cant realy passover them like on the pan.

Thanks folks!

ALSO DO NOT FILL the diff through the covers fill hole.... IT IS NOT the same height as the OEM fill hole ... IT is lower and cause you to run the fluid at a lower level !!

So, I take it I'm going to need a pump in order to fill all the way?

just fill it to the fill hole, if your going with the trickflow, you will be fine half pint here, half pint there makes no diff.todds just anal, needs it within 2 ccs.Is not an issue.

HAHAH !!! :smile0015:

No pump needed to fill if you use the bottles with a point on them.... IF using a flat top then yes...

I found a great hose attachement and it works mint !!

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

Uhm, so how do I plug a hole that's been filled above its fill line?

Oh, and where can I pick up the Lube-Locker gasket?

Thanks again!

You have a fill hole in the side of the Diff cast housing, put the fluid in thru the fill hole of the girdle.

When it just starts to run out of the fill hole in the cast housing, your done, teflon tape the plugs, install, done deal.

Thanks. I was under the impression that the Trickflow cover had its own fill plug. UPS dropped off the Trickflow today so I'm looking to get this project done in a few days.

From the PICs it looks like the MAC cover's fill hole is higher then the one ont eh Trick Flow,

Anyone know for sure.

thanks