Rear Diff Rebuild

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Gutzmer

Reaction score
I've got an '02, 4wd, automatic, limited slip diff with ~135k miles. Been pulling an enclosed 6x12 trailer to L&G tractor pulls with my son, I'd say about 30k of those miles.

At 70k, had shocks, etc. replaced. Ford said the left side rear axle was sloppy and ready to pull out. Quote was $1250 to $1500. Wasn't familiar with the description, while trying to understand further about the work involved, didn't get much of a response.

At 120k, bought 2nd set of tires. Goodyear shop echoed similar description that the left axle was ready to pull out. Again though, I didn't get much of a description.

After searching here on the site, looks like folks have been rebuilding some of their rear-differentials. I've rebuilt rear-ends on the 1-ton farm trucks, seems like process is the same which typically involves changing carrier and pinion bearings, and axle seals...

Is that what these shops are talking about? If so, the follow-on question would be, is it worth my time to do myself or should I let Ford do the repair?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

All 8.8 axles have play in them..... you can move it in and out normally...

IF your concerned, pull the cover, Replace the center pin, bolt and c clips...

With the fluid, the total cost should be $100.000.....

As for the rebuild, like bill said thats total BS..... The shops here get $900 WITH all parts including a NEW cobra posi and new gears !!!

Just a rebuild is $400.00

Todd Z

Thanks, that's exactly where my head was at. Didn't pay it much attention, however, when a 2nd shop gave a similar description some 20+ mos. later, I thought there might be something to this story.

I'll probably open it up, expecting to replace the parts you've identified Todd. Just for piece of mind.

Typically, you hear noise when bearings are going which I do not have. I shouldn't have to worry about wear in the cones, should I? I would think a good visual inspection should be all that's required.

Thanks again,

Kevin

I would not worry, the clutches and stuff don't get beat towing, since your going straight....

Only if you spin 1 tire and constantly slip them they will be bad.....

If no noises or clunks, just do a fluid change, change the items if concerned and remember to add the motorcraft LSD additive !!!!

Todd Z

What is going on is the LS clutch packs are worn out. That is why there so much play in the axle now. The clutches are like shims for the axle c clips.

I went and replace the clutch pack in my st and now the axle have very little play in them.

Started out with axle seal leaking and found essive play in the axles. Did my home work and repaired it myself.