rear diff/ring and pinnion problems??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone had problems with intermittent execessive vibration/knocking noises in the rear of the ST when starting off? I get this when backing out of parking places, slow turns, and inclines. I guess its possible for it to be something in the power steering, however, the noise/vibration seems to be coming from the rear diff.... ring and pinion problems ???

If you have a limited slip diff, this is a common issue. Doesn't always mean something is wrong, just some noise as the friction plates slide over one another. Most common when it's cold and when starting to move while turning. First fix is to add some more friction modifier; but, that reduces the limited slip effect to some degree. My 04 has done that since new when it's cold outside.

Thanks for the reply.

I have noticed this just recently on my '01. It happened the first time a month ago at the very end of a 400 mile drive, it actually felt like someone was (lightly) kicking the seat ;)

....and it happens most of the time to some degree when cold.

First thing to check is the slip yoke on the front of the driveshaft. Pull your shaft, clean it, lube it well, (the splines I mean) and put it back in. :D This can help. I know there is a TSB on Rangers about clunking and replacing the rear driveshaft with an aluminum one, I had to have that done on both of mine. This could be the same problem on some Tracs too.