Rear Differential Leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 62394

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone who knows more about the rear axle assembly could answer this question. Among the myriad of things that have gone wrong with my Trac since it hit about 70k miles, I recently had my rear axle seals replaced because they were leaking. Shorly after this was fixed, I developed a leak from my rear differential. I had it in the shop again yesterday, and they said it was a bad pinion seal. This hit me for another $150.

My question is, is it possible that the differential leak was caused by the rear axle repair? I don't know enough about the repair or structure in this area to know if that is a possibility. It just seems very coincidental to me.

Of course, as I said, everything else has been going wrong with this thing, so it wouldn't surprise me if this was just another (to go along with the door handles, door locks, air conditioning, tranny valve body gasket, . . . ). I love this truck, but it is really trying my patience lately. Doesn't help that it is now $50 to fill it and is my only vehicle.:angry:

Thanks

If the second leak was the front pinion seal, I would say no, it would not be caused by the axle shaft repair.

When the axle shafts are removed there is no need to touch the front pinion or the seal in any way. The third member, (the guts of the rear end) remain intact and inside the housing when the axle shafts are removed.

Coastiejoe,

Thanks for the insight. Just trying to make sure I wasn't getting taken for a ride.

Thanks,

When the axle seals where leaking the level in the rear was probably low, thus the pinion seal was running dry and wore out, Thus when they filled the rear back to the proper level, the front seal started leaking...

Todd Z

Latest posts