rear drum removal

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Reese

Reaction score
I have a '01 st. I recently failed the Va yearly safety inspection because the inspector could not remove the drum to inspect the rear brake shoes. I am assuming the drums have not been removed in previous years because the factory installed assembly clips were still in place and now the drum and axle have become one?? Any ideas, tricks or suggestions on getting things loose?

Any and all ideas appreciated.

Remove the clips, The using a small lump hammer hit the drum in between the studs striking it toward the axle... This will loosen the rust and then use a small block of wood On the back side and lightly tap the drum around...

Also a good shot of a penetrating oil will help...

Todd Z

I agree with Todd. I have had the same problem with previous vehicles. My stuck drums were remedied with a little penetrating lubricant around the hub, a few solid whacks to the face of the drum to loosen it, then small taps around the back of it until it eased off of the hub.

I was having trouble with the front rotor on a Mountaineer I used to have, but an old woman helped me get it off by breaking the hub (in the process of hitting me). The guy who fixed it had never seen anyone snap the hub of a 4x4 in the 30-odd years he owned the place.

I recommend the lubricant and hammer.:D

There should be two threaded holes between the lug bolts.

Find two bolts that fit. More than likely it is a 5/16th bolt course thread.

Then snug bolts down and tap drum with hammer. Keep snugging bolts and tapping

drum. Spray around center of drum hole with WD-40 or penetrating oil first.

If this doesn`t work you may have to take out the rubber plug behind the drum

and loosen the automatic brake adjuster. Then repeat above.

Hope this helps.

Ranger Erv.

Ranger Bass Boat Ready to Fishin

Thanks All!!!

I got it off. I had been using the oil and a dead blow hammer. After reading your replies I broke out a smooth face 22 oz. Estwing, some choice @#%^* type words and it came right off. Well not right off but .....

Thanks again

Cool.....

Just glad you did not leave you parking brake on...LOL

Todd Z

I used to launch a lot of boats with my truck in ocean,they can really rust on then,had to use torches & carefully heat up around studs then proceed as others have advised,may have to heat up more than once,on reasemble put on anti siese

John,

All the info above should be very benficial in removing your rear brake drums, however I would caution you about beating on the drums with a hammer. This will often work, but requires a delicate touch or you can easily crack your brake drum.

The proper way to remove the drum after removing any retainers or screws is to use a brake drum puller. That is the proper tool for that job. You obviously don't have one, and may not be worth buying if you don't do brake work, but they can be rented at many auto parts stores or rental centers for a very small fee.

Once you get the drum off and clean all the rust from the center hub you may not have any further problems for the life of the vehicle.

...Rich