Rear End Feels like it slides during turns

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolajoins

Reaction score
2010 Limited 2WD

This is an odd problem to describe. When I am making a turn it feels like the rear end of the truck is slipping sideways. It will also occasionally happen when I am driving over a slick plate or when hitting bumps. Its only mommentary but its rather unsettling. I thought it was the tires but I just replaced all four and the problem continues. It feels almost like a cargo van would if it had no weight in the cargo area. I think that it only happens when I am applying gas but still figuring that out. I had a really good mechanic but he just moved to Atlanta so I am in search of someone I can trust in the area.

100~200Lb of extra weight over rear axle should help; SandBags, ToolBox, ...

Maybe inspect the anti-sway bar, links, and associated bushings for damage or loose bolts? (If equipped)

mine did that until I replaced the rear shocks.. the original shocks were terrible..
it is in fact slipping sideways - driving on washboard dirt roads, the rear end would slide around horribly, independent as a hog on ice..

Find a shop, Sounds like a bad sway bar end link , broken, or missing, or bad bearing or suspension part.

Most likely it is worn out rubber bushings in the rear suspension coupled with shocks working less than optimally. Biggest culprit is likely the front bushing on the trailing arm. This is the arm that goes forward from the rear wheel and bolts to the side of the frame near the rear door. I am in the process of replacing all of my worn rubber bushings with heim joints. I will be using rebuildable Currie Johnny Joints on the front pivot of the trailing arms and on the inboard pivots of the lateral links that pivot near the rear diff.

Latest posts