Rear End Squeak - Tell Me It's Not a Wheel Bearing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K 2

Reaction score
I have 2001 Job 2 4x4 with 50,000 miles on the odometer.

About a week ago, I started noticing a high-pitched squeak coming from my right rear wheel area. It started suddenly...no gradual onset. I only hear the constant (non-pulsating, non-rhythmic) squeak when making left turns at speeds less than 40 mph. Braking or accelerating while turning left doesn't change the sound. However, there is an additional squeak coming from the right rear when lightly applying the brakes regardless of turning. There aren't any grinding noises. There is no fluid leaking onto the inner sidewalls of the tires. There is no fluid leaking onto the garage floor. The U-joints aren't loose or "clunky." There isn't any play when the tire is twisted up and down and side-to-side.

I showed my ST to a friend and my dad (both former mechanics) in passing. They both think it's something related to the brakes. They both mentioned it sounded like a return spring was rubbing on something.

What do you think?

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure it isn't just the tailgate not latched completely. I had a squeak coming from the rear and it was the gate.