Rear-end/tire "skitching" noise while turning...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Rogers

Reaction score
I have posted this concern before and C's rear differential maint post made me think about it again, so here goes.

It seems that as I am driving the ST and turn off a main roam onto a side road, or otherwise taking nice 90 deg turns at moderate speeds (20 - 30mph), I hear a funny noise from my rear tires on the dry pavement, almost like a "skitch, skitch, skitch" sound. It's as if the rubber of the tires is bouncing/dragging intermittently across the pavement.

The sound seems to come MORE from the rear tire on the inside of the turn. It's almost like the turn is too fast/tight for the tire, and it is therefore grinding and skipping sideways across the pavement making intermittent contact (but I am not sure of this).

Am I crazy? Is this normal? What could this be?

TJR

Hey TJR: Sounds like your clutch packs have gone bad in the rear end. Have your Ford dealer check it out....... Mine was doing the same thing & thats what the problem was. See ya.

You may want to try adding a bottle of ford friction modifier first. The synthetic fluid needs this to properly lubricate the clutches, IF not they stick....

The bottle is about 7 bucks... Just put it in the rear through the fill hole.. Find a parking lot and slowly drive in a figure eight for a couple of turns, this should solve the issue...

It think ford is replacing clutch packs and all that is needed is a bottle of friction modifier..

Todd Z

modifyer only works if it's a limited slip diff.

my 2004 ST was doing that on sharp turns

& it came down to tires rubbing on inner fenders.

Ford has a fix go to next size down.Only did it

on sharp turns I can live with it.

GM had this problem for years and years with the cop cars they put out. They developed the additive you put into Posi-traction and L/S rear ends and the problem was/is solved.

Ford followed suit by developing their additive, problem also solved.

Truth be known, they are probably exactly the same thing. But they each carry their own part number.