rear swaybar to tie rod/end link nut missing!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave moore

Reaction score
I have heard some squeaking from the rear of my '01 ST with 60,000 miles. I figured the rear sway bar bushings were the culprit, so I decided to take a look. While inspecting the underside, I noticed that the driver's side junction of the rear swaybar and endlink/tierod was missing the nut that held the two togeather! The bolt was slipped about half way out. Has anyone else had this happen. I have never touched the rear swaybar so I find it distressing that it simply loosened like that and fell off. Time to get some lock tite and an EE rear swaybar!

Actually the nut has been found loose frequenty when you go to install the EE swaybar.

Many members have used loctite to help keep it secure when they re-install. I just made sure I 'really' tightened it good and tight. I haven't noticed it loosen again. But, or course, I don't crawl under there to check it very ofter. :rolleyes:

I suggest getting some ny-lock nuts. <a href="http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2005-19,GGLD:en&q=nylock+nuts"target=top>Here's</a> a google on "nylock nuts"

If you do a search you will find this is pretty common with the eary built Tracs. Seems to be resolved on the late 02 and newer versions.

The local ford dealer sells the tierod/end link assembly with the bushing/bolt/washer/and nut for $13.00. The part has been "revised" to prevent the loosening.

On a long drive to Yosemite last week, I heard sounds coming from the rear suspension and pulled over to take a look. I discovered the driver-side nut was missing from sway-bar/tie rod link!

The sway-bar had disconnected from the tie-rod and was rubbing on the threaded link. 80% of the threads are damaged, preventing me from installing the new nut I bought from Ford (hard to find, too!).

Soooo, I'm taking this oppurtunity to replace my stock sway-bar & tie-rods. I'm undecided between the Hellwig and EE sway bars.

The Hellwig includes new tie-rods, but is smaller diameter vs. EE. I know metal-type is just as important as bar diameter, but I've seen quite a few positive reviews of the EE sway bar.

Cripes... decisions, decisions.....

Bob

On a long drive to Yosemite last week, I heard sounds coming from the rear suspension and pulled over to take a look. I discovered the driver-side nut was missing from sway-bar/tie rod link!

The sway-bar had disconnected from the tie-rod and was rubbing on the threaded link. 80% of the threads are damaged, preventing me from installing the new nut I bought from Ford (hard to find, too!).

Soooo, I'm taking this oppurtunity to replace my stock sway-bar & tie-rods. I'm undecided between the Hellwig and EE sway bars.

The Hellwig includes new tie-rods, but is smaller diameter vs. EE. I know metal-type is just as important as bar diameter, but I've seen quite a few positive reviews of the EE sway bar.

Cripes... decisions, decisions.....

Bob

Latest posts